Director, Regulatory Counsel - Originations and Credit Risk
Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is a digital banking platform that puts its 1.9 million members' financial goals within reach. With intelligent borrowing, savings, budgeting, and spending capabilities, Oportun empowers members with the confidence to build a better financial future. Since inception, Oportun has provided more than $15.5 billion in responsible and affordable credit, saved its members more than $2.3 billion in interest and fees, and helped our members save an average of more than $1,800 annually. For more information, visit Oportun.com.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups.
Oportun is looking to expand its world-class and highly experienced Legal and Compliance team responsible for serving as a strategic partner and providing sound legal advice to a mission-driven Company that offers affordable and credit building products. The position will provide legal advisory support and oversee a team responsible for advising on legal matters relating to the underwriting and origination of Oportun’s installment loan, auto, and bank partner products. In this role, the Regulatory Lawyer will report to the Senior Vice President, Deputy General Counsel, Product & Regulatory Legal and Compliance, and will work closely with Oportun’s Legal team, Compliance officers, executive business partners and operational teams. This is an opportunity to work in a fast-paced, mission-driven organization where your contributions can have a meaningful impact on underbanked and unbanked consumers.
- Act as trusted advisor to the business in providing consumer finance legal advisory support across multiple lending products and an expanding business model, with a focus on secured and unsecured loans through different channels including online, telesales and retail locations. This includes state lender, bank partner and lending-as-a-service models.
- Providing support to the Oportun business, risk and operational teams focused on the underwriting and origination of lending products.
- Partner with the Chief Credit Officer, data science and risk management teams, advising on the use of innovative technologies, artificial intelligence, and machine learning in the pricing, underwriting and origination of consumer finance products and services, including analysis of credit risk and pricing models and advice related to fair lending and UDAAP.
- Provide legal support, review and analysis of numerous models used in the underwriting, pricing, fraud detection, and collection of consumer loans, and advise on the use of third party and alternative data sources to verify consumer information.
- Support the origination of all loan products and the creation of a low-touch/no-touch application flow to reduce customer friction while maintaining legal, business, bank partner and regulatory requirements.
- Evaluate and support options to offer new lending products and partnerships that further the corporate mission in all 50 states.
- Work closely with senior business leaders, including product owners, data engineers, IT, Operations, Risk Management, Customer Experience, Marketing and others.
- Provide legal support and feedback in reviewing marketing, policies, procedures and training, to conform to Oportun, regulatory and bank partner requirements.
- Support the Marketing team, including the Chief Marketing Officer; review and revise marketing strategy and materials including digital marketing, prescreen offers, lead generation and referrals.
- Review and advise the business on sales practice guidelines in connection with sales incentive plans.
- Provide legal advice in partnership with Compliance on Anti-Money Laundering/BSA and OFAC matters, across all Oportun products.
- Partner with Compliance professionals to assist in the design and implementation of Compliance Management Program, including Compliance Risk Assessments and an underlying legal inventory of applicable laws and regulations.
- Research, track and report on federal and state legal developments related to the products within the scope of the role, staying abreast of current legal developments and trends to determine potential impact or risks. Communicate relevant items to business partners and analyze impact of the changing legal/regulatory landscape on the business strategy.
- Analyze and draft comments on proposed regulations and contribute to industry comment letters or requests where appropriate. Communicate relevant items to business partners and analyze impact of the changing legal/regulatory landscape on the business strategy for areas of responsibility.
- Participate in special projects in support of Oportun’s strategic objectives; provide backup support for and coordinate with other Regulatory Legal team members, as needed.
- Work with commercial attorneys to review third-party service provider agreements, including agreements with outsourced and/or offshored service providers, to ensure compliance with CFPB standards, internal guidelines, bank partner standards and applicable law.
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree, qualified to practice law in a United States jurisdiction.
- 7+ years’ experience as an attorney in a law firm or corporate law department.
- 5+ years’ experience in consumer financial services law, as in-house at a financial services company, including experience with the bank partner model.
- In-depth knowledge of state and federal consumer credit laws and regulations, including TILA/Reg Z, ECOA/Reg B, FCRA/Reg V, ADA, SCRA, TCPA, GLBA/Reg P, EFTA, AML/BSA and state consumer finance and lending laws.
- Ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities set by the business while still meeting internal department goals.
- Effective written, interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work as part of a team involving staff, clients, bank partners and outside agencies.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to exercise sound judgment in providing and legal advice and assisting the business to implement such advice; ability to work independently, with minimal oversight, and partner with other legal team members as part of the Product & Regulatory Legal team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication/presentation skills, including the ability to persuade and influence management at all levels, including executive management.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail and positive professional attitude.
- Experience working with federal and/or state regulators.
- Spanish fluency (written and verbal).
"The US base salary range for this full-time position is $150,400 - $240,600.
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects a national minimum and maximum range for new hire salaries for this position. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, such as job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range that meets your criteria during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation range listed in this posting reflects only the base salary for this position and does not include other compensation elements or benefits.”
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all qualified applicants for employment opportunities without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other category protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
California applicants can find a copy of Oportun's CCPA Notice here: https://oportun.com/privacy/california-privacy-notice/.
We will never request personal identifiable information (bank, credit card, etc.) before you are hired. We do not charge you for pre-employment fees such as background checks, training, or equipment. If you think you have been a victim of fraud by someone posing as us, please report your experience to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).