Sr. Staff Software Engineer
Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is a digital banking platform that puts its 1.9 million members' financial goals within reach. With intelligent borrowing, savings, budgeting, and spending capabilities, Oportun empowers members with the confidence to build a better financial future. Since inception, Oportun has provided more than $15.5 billion in responsible and affordable credit, saved its members more than $2.3 billion in interest and fees, and helped our members save an average of more than $1,800 annually. For more information, visit Oportun.com.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups.
- You help define, standardize, implement, and evangelize approaches to software development that raise the bar across your organization.
- You build architectures and solutions within your organization to make our engineers more productive and our solutions more robust. You are called upon to mediate discussions and build alignment on technical approaches across teams. Your delivery of architecture sets the standard for the organization with a high focus on engineering excellence and innovation.
- You lead incorporation of appropriate continuous feedback loops measuring customer value, usage patterns, and other actionable metrics of value. You drive operational excellence across the org and propose scalable ways to continually improve OE. You break through surface-level remediation for on-call issues and identify high-impact initiatives to reduce on-call escalation across the organization.
- You provide technical and organizational guidance to your organization while continuing to be deeply involved in specific, strategic projects. You enable collaborations to happen through your vision and leadership. You look for opportunities to foster collaboration between teams in the technology organization.
- You can recognize opportunities where Oportun is underinvested and can make a strong case for why we need to double down our investment in these areas.
- You identify the cause, build and represent the case with the right stakeholders and lead the change that impacts the entire (CTO) organization.
- Typically requires a minimum 12 years of related experience with a Bachelor's degree; or a Master's degree with an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven experience (10+ years) in software development, with a strong focus on backend or full-stack development.
- Expertise in one or more programming languages such as Java, Python, C++, or similar.
- Mastery of software design principles, data structures, and algorithms.
- Experience designing and building scalable and reliable distributed systems in cloud (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to troubleshoot complex technical and business problems.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, with the ability to work effectively in cross-functional teams.
- Proven ability to lead and mentor multiple teams across multiple complex business problems
- Financial services or fintech industry experience is a strong advantage.
Join a mission-driven organization that is committed to making a positive impact on underserved communities. Work with a diverse and inclusive team of talented professionals who value collaboration and innovation.
Opportunity for career growth and advancement in a rapidly evolving industry. Competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package.
Flexible work arrangements and a supportive work-life balance.
If you are passionate about using your technical expertise to drive social impact and financial inclusion, we invite you to join us in our mission at Oportun. Apply now to become a part of our dynamic team and make a difference in the lives of millions.
To apply, please submit your resume and a cover letter detailing your relevant experience and why you are excited about the opportunity to contribute to Oportun's mission.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all qualified applicants for employment opportunities without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other category protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
California applicants can find a copy of Oportun's CCPA Notice here: https://oportun.com/privacy/california-privacy-notice/.
We will never request personal identifiable information (bank, credit card, etc.) before you are hired. We do not charge you for pre-employment fees such as background checks, training, or equipment. If you think you have been a victim of fraud by someone posing as us, please report your experience to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).