Senior Software Engineer
Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is a digital banking platform that puts its 1.9 million members' financial goals within reach. With intelligent borrowing, savings, budgeting, and spending capabilities, Oportun empowers members with the confidence to build a better financial future. Since inception, Oportun has provided more than $15.5 billion in responsible and affordable credit, saved its members more than $2.3 billion in interest and fees, and helped our members save an average of more than $1,800 annually. For more information, visit Oportun.com.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups.
• You actively contribute to the end-to-end delivery of complex software applications, ensuring adherence to best practices and high overall quality standards.
• You have a strong understanding of a business or system domain with sufficient knowledge & expertise around the appropriate metrics and trends. You collaborate closely with product managers, designers, and fellow engineers to understand business needs and translate
them into effective software solutions.
• You provide technical leadership and expertise, guiding the team in making sound
architectural decisions and solving challenging technical problems. Your solutions anticipate scale, reliability, monitoring, integration, and extensibility.
• You conduct code reviews and provide constructive feedback to ensure code quality,
performance, and maintainability. You mentor and coach junior engineers, fostering a culture of continuous learning, growth, and technical excellence within the team.
• You play a significant role in the ongoing evolution and refinement of current tools and applications used by the team, and drive adoption of new practices within your team.
• You take ownership of (customer) issues, including initial troubleshooting, identification of
root cause and issue escalation or resolution, while maintaining the overall reliability and performance of our systems.
• You set the benchmark for responsiveness and ownership and overall accountability of engineering systems.
• You independently drive and lead multiple features, contribute to (a) large project(s) and lead smaller projects. You can orchestrate work that spans multiples engineers within your team and keep all relevant stakeholders informed. You support your lead/EM about your work and that of the team, that they need to share with the stakeholders, including escalation of issuesQualifications:
• Typically requires a minimum 6 years of related experience with a Bachelor's degree; or a Master's degree with an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Proven track record of delivering sophisticated software solutions with high quality.
• Extensive proficiency in one or more programming languages, such as Java or similar.• Strong understanding of data structures, algorithms, and software design principles.
• Proficiency in working with relational databases and SQL is a plus.
• Solid grasp of version control systems, such as Git.
• Experience with cloud technologies, preferably AWS or Azure, is highly desirable.
• Knowledge on docker and Kubernetes
• CI/CD process exposure
• Good to have knowledge on automation test frameworks like Karate framework, Web driver I/O, Jira workflowProven ability to mentor and lead other engineers, fostering a
collaborative and supportive work environment.
• Exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills, with a passion for tackling complex technical and business problems/challenges.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities, with a track record of effectively collaborating in a team-oriented environment.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all qualified applicants for employment opportunities without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other category protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
California applicants can find a copy of Oportun's CCPA Notice here: https://oportun.com/privacy/california-privacy-notice/.
We will never request personal identifiable information (bank, credit card, etc.) before you are hired. We do not charge you for pre-employment fees such as background checks, training, or equipment. If you think you have been a victim of fraud by someone posing as us, please report your experience to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).