Principal Software Engineer R11344
Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is a digital banking platform that puts its 1.9 million members' financial goals within reach. With intelligent borrowing, savings, budgeting, and spending capabilities, Oportun empowers members with the confidence to build a better financial future. Since inception, Oportun has provided more than $15.5 billion in responsible and affordable credit, saved its members more than $2.3 billion in interest and fees, and helped our members save an average of more than $1,800 annually. For more information, visit Oportun.com.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups.
- You lead the conceptualization, design, development, testing, and deployment of complex software applications, setting the standard for best practices and high-quality coding. You establish, influence, and ensure policies and procedures for developing extensible, reusable, and maintainable code, identifying, and addressing coding issues. You create and apply metrics to drive the quality and stability of code, as well as appropriate coding patterns and best practices.
- You lead platform & product development and scaling to customer requirements and apply best practices for meeting scaling needs and performance expectations and hold accountability for products that do not meet expectations.
- You oversee overall system architecture for critically important and high-impact spaces. You hold accountability for incorporating critical product strategy components into the system architecture. You create a strategic roadmap for the system architecture by considering how related systems will evolve in the near future. You establish and/or maintain processes to measure and ensure system architecture is effective, durable, and meets the current and future needs of the service or product.
- You are actively engaged in experimentation for highly complex, ambiguous, or otherwise valuable technological spaces. You provide technical leadership for problem solving and/or efficiently building software developer tools. Your mentorship to engineers across all levels, empowers their growth and promotes technical excellence throughout the group.
- You collaborate and coordinate with other senior leaders to align on policies and procedures for safe and effective dependency adoption and to negotiate and align on cross-function dependency roadmaps.
- Typically requires a minimum 15 years of related experience with a Bachelor's degree; or a Master's degree with an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven track record of delivering sophisticated software solutions and leading complex technical projects.
- Expertise in one or more programming languages, such as Java, Python, C++, or similar.
- Complete Mastery over data structures, algorithms, and software design principles.
- Proficiency in working with relational databases and SQL.
- Strong grasp of version control systems, such as Git.
- Proven track record designing and building scalable and reliable distributed systems in a cloud environment (e.g., AWS, Azure, GCP).
- Proven ability to mentor and lead a technical organization, fostering a collaborative and supportive work environment.
- Exceptional problem-solving and analytical skills, with a passion for tackling complex technical challenges.
- Outstanding communication and interpersonal abilities, with a track record of effectively collaborating in a team-oriented environment.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all qualified applicants for employment opportunities without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other category protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
California applicants can find a copy of Oportun's CCPA Notice here: https://oportun.com/privacy/california-privacy-notice/.
We will never request personal identifiable information (bank, credit card, etc.) before you are hired. We do not charge you for pre-employment fees such as background checks, training, or equipment. If you think you have been a victim of fraud by someone posing as us, please report your experience to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).