Principal Engineer - Data Engineering
Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is a digital banking platform that puts its 1.9 million members' financial goals within reach. With intelligent borrowing, savings, budgeting, and spending capabilities, Oportun empowers members with the confidence to build a better financial future. Since inception, Oportun has provided more than $15.5 billion in responsible and affordable credit, saved its members more than $2.3 billion in interest and fees, and helped our members save an average of more than $1,800 annually. For more information, visit Oportun.com.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups.
- You lead the conceptualization, design, development, testing, deployment, and optimization of complex data solutions for the ingestion, processing, and transformation of large volumes of structured/unstructured data, setting the standard for best practices and high-quality coding.
- You establish, influence, and ensure policies and procedures for developing extensible, reusable, and maintainable code. You create and apply metrics to drive the quality and stability of code, as well as appropriate coding patterns and best practices. You optimize data solutions for performance, scalability, and cost-efficiency.
- You lead platform & product development and scaling to customer requirements and apply best practices for meeting scaling needs and performance expectations and hold accountability for products that do not meet expectations. You establish, enforce, and improve data quality standards, governance policies, and compliance with relevant regulations to ensure data accuracy, consistency, and security
- You oversee overall data architecture for critically important and high-impact spaces. You hold accountability for incorporating critical product strategy components into the data architecture. You create a strategic roadmap for the data architecture by considering how related operational and analytics needs will evolve in the near future. You demonstrate business domain expertise in shaping technical solutions aligned with strong engineering principles and direct business value.
- You are actively engaged in experimentation for highly complex, ambiguous, or otherwise valuable technological spaces. You provide technical leadership for problem solving and/or efficiently building software developer tools. Your mentorship to engineers across all levels, empowers their growth and promotes technical excellence throughout the group.
- You collaborate and coordinate with other senior leaders in engineering, product, analytics, data science, and business domains to align on policies and procedures to negotiate and align on cross-function dependency roadmaps. You lead and manage high-impact data engineering projects, ensuring successful delivery within defined timelines and budget constraints.
- Master of Science or advanced Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or other related field, or equivalent work experience
- Track record as a highly successful, hands-on engineer in SaaS environments and a champion of best practices
- 6+ years of experience developing and scaling engineering teams.
- 10+ years of experience in software development/coding
- Strong understanding of coding languages Python & SQL.
- Expert in Modern Data Platforms and AI/ML ecosystems (Databricks strongly preferred)
- Strong practical skill in Relational data modeling and batch processing on SQL databases
- Expert with Distributed processing framework like Spark
- Expert with Streaming data platforms like Kafka or AWS Kinesis
- Strong practical skill with Realtime stream processing frameworks like Flink, Spark Streaming or Kafka Stream
- Strong practical skill with Cloud computing systems like Amazon Web Services
- Strong practical skill with Big Data analytics tools like Hive or Spark SQL
- Ability to seamlessly toggle between the strategic and the tactical. Ability to develop vision, strategic plans, product roadmaps as well as tactical priorities, processes, procedures, and issue resolution.
- Strong communication and organisational skills
- Strong product sense coupled with an ability to take a developer perspective.
- Very strong analytical skills – including requirements analysis, detailed planning, and risk assessment.
- Fluent in good architecture design
- Strong ability to build relationships with internal leadership at all levels, along with effective interpersonal, presentation and communication skills.
- Ensures budgets and schedules meet corporate requirements.
- Experience with financial systems, payment systems and/or credit decisioning systems, preferably in loans or similar products.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all qualified applicants for employment opportunities without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other category protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
California applicants can find a copy of Oportun's CCPA Notice here: https://oportun.com/privacy/california-privacy-notice/.
We will never request personal identifiable information (bank, credit card, etc.) before you are hired. We do not charge you for pre-employment fees such as background checks, training, or equipment. If you think you have been a victim of fraud by someone posing as us, please report your experience to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).