Director, Corporate Counsel
Oportun (Nasdaq: OPRT) is a digital banking platform that puts its 1.9 million members' financial goals within reach. With intelligent borrowing, savings, budgeting, and spending capabilities, Oportun empowers members with the confidence to build a better financial future. Since inception, Oportun has provided more than $15.5 billion in responsible and affordable credit, saved its members more than $2.3 billion in interest and fees, and helped our members save an average of more than $1,800 annually. For more information, visit Oportun.com.
WORKING AT OPORTUN
Working at Oportun means enjoying a differentiated experience of being part of a team that fosters a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture where we all feel a sense of belonging and are encouraged to share our perspectives. This inclusive culture is directly connected to our organization's performance and ability to fulfill our mission of delivering affordable credit to those left out of the financial mainstream. We celebrate and nurture our inclusive culture through our employee resource groups.
This role will work closely with cross-functional partners, especially in Finance, Treasury, Stock Administration, and Investor Relations. In this position, the Corporate Counsel will regularly interact with senior executives across the organization.
As Corporate Counsel, you will report to the Sr. Director, Sr. Corporate Counsel (Securities & Corporate Governance) and will be expected to work closely with the Deputy General Counsel & Corporate Secretary.
This is an exciting opportunity to join a talented and passionate team in support of Oportun’s mission to empower its members to build a better future.
- Assist with a wide range of securities filings, including annual and quarterly reports on forms 10-K and 10-Q, proxy statements, Form 8-Ks, Section 16 filings, and other related filings
- Provide legal guidance on external communications such as earnings releases, press releases, investor presentations and marketing materials
- Ensure compliance with SEC and Nasdaq rules and regulations
- Participate in and advise on disclosure and other issues related to environmental, social, and governance (ESG) initiatives and programs
- Support corporate governance matters
- Keep abreast and advise on the potential impact of new rules, regulations, market trends and best practices in the areas of securities law and corporate governance
- Draft and administer internal policies and procedures
- Act as a key business partner and advisor to the management team as well as the investor relations, finance, equity, human resources and corporate communications functions
- Take accountability and ownership over projects and driving them to completion
- Assist other teams with projects on an as-needed basis
- Candidate must possess a Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree and qualified to practice law in a United States jurisdiction
- 4+ years of relevant transactional experience in a law firm or corporate law department
- Excellent research, writing, communication skills with the ability to work as part of a team involving staff, clients and outside parties
- Strong organizational skills, including an ability to prioritize activities and work independently in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to make good decisions using sound professional judgment
- Strong attention to detail, with positive professional attitude and a passion for the job.
“The US base salary range for this full-time position is 147,500 - 236,000
Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects a national minimum and maximum range for new hire salaries for this position. Within this range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, such as job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range that meets your criteria during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation range listed in this posting reflects only the base salary for this position and does not include other compensation elements or benefits.”
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and consider all qualified applicants for employment opportunities without regard to race, age, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status or any other category protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
California applicants can find a copy of Oportun's CCPA Notice here: https://oportun.com/privacy/california-privacy-notice/.
We will never request personal identifiable information (bank, credit card, etc.) before you are hired. We do not charge you for pre-employment fees such as background checks, training, or equipment. If you think you have been a victim of fraud by someone posing as us, please report your experience to the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3).