Sr. Director, Head of Epidemiology
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, October 24, 2023
OM1 is on a mission to improve health outcomes by unlocking the power of data. We are a healthcare data and technology company focused on real world clinical data and outcomes, accelerating medical research and personalizing healthcare. Our interdisciplinary team uses expertise in medicine, software, Big Data, machine learning, public health and mathematics to transform records from a diverse set of sources into enriched, research grade data which allows us to generate unique insights in a variety of disease areas.
As a Head of Epidemiology, you will provide scientific, operational, and strategic leadership, advising on the overall program of research and analytic services provided to existing clients and offered to prospective clients. You will be a motivating leader who is able to build and mentor an efficient and effective team. You will have deep experience with the design, conduct, and interpretation of pharmacoepidemiologic studies, the relevant regulatory environment and best practices, and working with large and diverse healthcare datasets. The work also requires skills and knowledge for understanding prospective study design and data collection in clinical research.
- Scientific oversight and management responsibility for an epidemiology team conducting research in epidemiology, health economics, outcomes research, and primary data collection.
- Accountable for the planning and on-time and efficient execution of projects and provides guidance and mentorship to junior team members as they pursue these activities.
- Provides scientific and strategic input to Product Management, Engineering, and Business Development colleagues by applying knowledge of epidemiology and real-world evidence generation to our offerings.
What You'll Do at OM1
- Provide senior oversight on projects ensuring the scientifically-sound and efficient execution of all client deliverables (i.e., research plans, study reports, abstracts, manuscripts, posters) by the internal study teams.
- Build, manage and mentor a scientific team in meeting performance goals and professional development. Oversee resource planning needs and type and pace of hires. Build and retain talent.
- Actively engage with cross-functional department leaders in setting strategic business goals and making decisions.
- Support Business Development in all customer activities including capability presentations, proposal development, etc.
- Help to showcase the value of the OM1 offerings via external thought leadership including submission of abstracts, authorship of manuscripts, participation in other media including newsletters, workshops and webinars, etc., and involvement with professional societies.
- Plan and monitor utilization and financial metrics to ensure department performance meets or exceeds organizational goals and objectives.
Experience You'll Bring
- Excellent organizational skills required with proven ability to manage competing priorities and to consistently meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to build, maintain, and lead teams and proven people and team management skills including time management, performance management organization of workload, and delegation.
- 100% committed to delivering high quality output on time with attention to detail and thoroughness.
- Quick learner able to gain deep understanding of company processes and cross functional interactions and interdependencies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and proven ability to communicate with peers, team members, senior management, technical teams and customers.
- PhD or MD with training and 12+ years experience in epidemiology or closely related field, or at minimum a Master’s degree with extensive relevant experience.
- Life sciences and pharmacoepidemiology experience, with good understanding of relevant good pharmacoepidemiology practice, quality standards, and regulations.
- Experience with managing resources and timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated thought leadership and subject matter expertise in the generation of RWE.
- Experience with retrospective and prospective observational study design and execution and analyzing large and varied real-world data sources, including EMR and claims data.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
- Must be able to lift up to 15 pounds at times.
- Occasional travel.
If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
OM1 is an equal employment opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, race, veteran or disability status. At OM1 ensuring that people feel respected, valued, and included is essential to our success. We are committed to working together to provide a work environment that embraces the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.