Tech Lead Manager
Who We Are
Nirvana’s mission is to make businesses safer & smarter. Our technology platform delivers modern insurance & risk management to not only help our customers protect their businesses, but actually improve safety for everyone.
To start, we’re transforming the legacy, $300B+ commercial insurance industry through cutting-edge predictive models using real-time IoT data (~50B connected devices by 2030), automation to deliver instantaneous quotes & faster underwriting, & proactive, and data-driven insights to help customers prevent accidents.
Backed by top-tier VCs including General Catalyst & Lightspeed Ventures, Nirvana became the fastest insurtech EVER to launch in Jan 2022 and has crossed >$10M run rate in under 6 months, 2x faster than best-in-class competitors. Our leadership team comes from Samsara, Rubrik, Flexport, Acko Insurance, including 30+yr insurance veterans from Hiscox, AIG & Progressive.
What You Will Do
As a tech lead manager at Nirvana, your role is to support and lead one of our various functional teams while continuing to contribute yourself as well.
- Convert business goals to technical goals: You will develop a strong understanding of our business and work with product and engineering leadership to periodically define goals for your team
- Manage People: You will provide coaching and performance feedback to a small group of engineers helping them meet their goals towards the company as well as mentor them in their own career growth as well
- Own and build the product: You will take ownership of key parts of the product and drive it end-to-end with a customer-driven focus.
- Collaborate with a world-class team: We have an all-star engineering team out of organizations like Rubrik, Samsara and Apple; who believe that collaboration and open feedback are key to building excellent technical solutions to challenging problems.
- Build team and culture: At Nirvana, we believe that culture is the secret sauce to building a great engineering team. You will build and embody this culture - and set the bar high as we build the company.
- You are an owner. You are comfortable owning large parts of our product and driving the development and roadmap.
- You ship. You get satisfaction from getting your features into customers' hands in a short period of time. You take accountability for the end-to-end product experience of your features, warts and all.
- You value highly productive teams more than rockstar contributors. You understand the individuals do their best work as part of a team and investing in tools and processes to improve the productivity of the team is the way to go.
- You like helping others succeed. You derive satisfaction from mentoring and helping other people craft and achieve their goals.
- You are a craftsperson. You care deeply about delivering high-quality experiences and approach development with a high degree of craft. You are passionate about tooling and developer productivity.
- You value clear, open communication. You not only have the ability or skill to communicate effectively but also have the willingness to be open and honest in your communication. You demonstrate these abilities through thoughtful code reviews, honest and kind feedback, and documentation.
- 1-2 years of experience in coaching and mentoring 3-4 engineers.
- At least 6+ years of experience in writing non-trivial software applications in statically typed languages such as Golang/Scala/Java/C++.
- You have experience in designing, building, and growing highly scalable, reliable, and fault-tolerant services that can support the growth of our business.
- You can break up a complex system into clean reusable components, and design ergonomic interfaces and abstractions for internal and external consumers.
- Apart from a deep understanding of the web stack, you understand how everything fits together (such as databases, caching, load balancers, networking, etc.) to debug for performance and reliability issues.
- You understand the importance of bringing data into decision-making and ensure that observability and metrics are part of everything you build.
- You like being a generalist. If we do our jobs well, you will spend more of your time building systems than fighting fires, so you should enjoy wearing many hats and working on many parts of the system.
- You have excellent communication skills and work well within the team as well as with stakeholders from other areas such as product and business.
- Competitive compensation & meaningful equity
- Health insurance for you and your family
- Monthly wellness stipend
- Remote equal culture and reimbursement for home office equipment
- A flexible vacation policy and a team that understands building a company is a marathon, not a sprint
- Support for ongoing development outside of work
- A culture that gives you the autonomy you need to do great work, and the transparency you need to make good decisions
Something looks off?