VP of Engineering
📍London or Remote (UK) | 💰 This is a unique role, we’re open to discussions around base salary + stock options dependent on experience | Benefits
At Monzo, our mission is to make money work for everyone: to make our customers effortlessly financially savvy with smart features, unexpectedly friendly service, and a relentless focus on what people genuinely want and need from a bank. Our net promoter score is more than 2x that of other banks, and we are the fastest-growing bank in the UK. Monzo better resembles a fast-paced tech startup than a traditional bank – we move fast, ship new things every day, and develop products iteratively. But we are also very serious about the safety of our customers’ money and their trust in us, and we believe this starts with our internal culture. We default to transparency both internally and externally, and we involve our community in everything we do. We prize a diverse team as a strength: everyone is welcome at Monzo and we're working hard to empower them to do the best work of their lives.
At Monzo the effective application of technology is a significant competitive advantage. We strongly believe in autonomous multi-disciplinary teams, organising smart people from different backgrounds around problems and empowering our business areas with technical capabilities to achieve outcomes for our customers that others can't.
Engineering at Monzo:
This is a brand new role and we’re looking for a creative, entrepreneurial and impact-focused VP of Engineering to lead all of our core product areas and help us build one of the best, most innovative banks in the world.
As VP of Engineering, you’ll report to the Chief Technology Officer and lead an organisation of 200+ Engineers to set big, ambitious goals for all of our product areas, and have the freedom to decide how to meet them. You’ll operate with autonomy and have a massive impact on our customers’ lives and Monzo’s success.
You’ll be leading the product verticals building our consumer facing products spanning our personal and business banking, lending products and more. You'll also be playing a key role in expanding Monzo products across various geographies around the globe. We aim to position Monzo as the product that people go to when they want to manage their financial life.
What you'll work on:
- Lead a cross-functional organisation of 200+ Engineers with Engineering Directors as your direct reports.
- Build and deliver on our strategy to grow Monzo on an international scale. You’ll shape our strategy to achieve this and how we can understand the needs of customers across the globe.
- Collaborate with VP and C-Suite stakeholders across product, design, data, user research and other disciplines across all of our customer-facing products.
- Create delightful experiences that solve user needs and pain points. You should aim to be a champion of our customers.
- Use a data-driven approach to shape decision making.
- Lead planning processes and roadmap prioritisation to ensure alignment within the teams and with wider business goals and objectives.
You should apply if:
- You have experience leading Engineering orgs between 150-200+ individuals (including experience managing Engineering Leaders, ideally at Director level).
- You’ve got over a ten year track record of shipping successful, customer-centric digital products in a consumer tech company.
- You have the ability to communicate clearly and persuasively to a wide range of audiences, and in a structured way.
- You can clearly demonstrate the impact and success of your previous work and your team’s work in line with business objectives.
- You can systematically break down and then solve complex problems (for customers and the business).
- You’re comfortable using data to ground your thinking in analysis, can identify key metrics and their drivers and evaluate the success of your work.
- You make good decisions in complex situations where there’s often no “right answer”.
- You can work effectively with a diverse range of people and working styles to get stuff done, and are able to thoughtfully and constructively challenge and influence the people you work with.
- You’re able to quickly build trust and enable your team’s to be high performing.
The interview process:
- Recruiter Call (30 mins) You'll meet our Engineering Leadership Recruiter to discuss your experience and learn more about Monzo. They'll be your partner and guide throughout the interview process.
- Initial Call (1 hour) You'll meet with our Chief Technology Officer. They'll ask you about your previous experience, in particular people leadership, product delivery and technical leadership. They’ll also make time to tell you about Monzo and answer your questions.
- Loop Stage (4 hours) The Loop stage consists of 4 x 60 min interviews that take place over 1-2 days (depending on your availability).
- Final Meet and Greet - Given the seniority and importance of the role, it’s likely we’ll also ask you to meet with our CEO and COO before making a final decision. This’ll be an opportunity for you to also meet our most senior leaders at Monzo.
All things going well, you'll have completed the hiring process 🚀
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You’ll have the chance to speak to our recruitment team throughout the process. If you’d like to ask a question sooner, email email@example.com
What's in it for you:
💰Base salary range for this role is dependent on experience + equity + stock options & benefits
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK
✅ We can sponsor visas
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕And much more, see our full list of benefits here
Equal opportunity statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2022 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2022 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.