Analytics Engineering Manager
We’re here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. For too long, banking has been obtuse, complex and opaque.
We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
About our Analytics Engineering Team:
Our Analytics Engineering discipline works in the intersection between data, engineering and our collectives - Money, Borrowing, Operations and Financial Crime and beyond.
The AE teams are responsible for building downstream data models from backend services with the desire to make our Data Warehouse a genuine competitive advantage for Monzo. We want a discipline capable of building a reliable and scalable Data Warehouse to support decision making in a cost effective and performant manner.
Managers within Data have two primary responsibilities; people and technical product. Your focus will be on helping engineers with their personal and professional development, listening and guiding them through hard times and celebrating their successes. You will also be leading and participating directly in technical initiatives and helping Monzo shape its Data organisation, ensuring the team focuses on valuable work, shipping things with a level of care and attention to detail.
There will be a strong focus on delivering best practice across all of our data discipline and helping bring a new level of maturity around Data Governance principles, working in collaboration with others to deliver this.
Working in a multi-disciplinary team, you will:
- Be a hands on leader in building a discipline of exceptional analytics and BI engineers, working to make Data at Monzo the gold standard within the industry.
- Nurture between 2 and 7 engineers, supporting, coaching and developing high performing engineers through regular 1:1s, continuous feedback and relationships with others.
- Aid prioritisation of initiatives and projects, working closely with other leads for each of our Monzo collectives.
- Be hands on through participating in the review cycle, architecture and design leadership and development of your own changes to the pipelines
- Be part of the hiring team within Analytics Engineering
- Work closely with other leads to deliver a scalable, consistent approach to governance and best practices.
- Drive effective project management of central Analytics Engineering projects, ensuring they’re well scoped and delivered to deadlines.
- Establish yourself as a trusted partner to various collectives and the leadership team, with the capacity for getting things done, be it either hands-on or by leading others.
You should apply if:
You have experience managing or mentoring the performance and development of high-performing engineers.
- You have strong experience in data warehousing architecture at scale
- You have experience and a passion for leading data warehousing, data visualisation, big data or ETL projects as an analyst, developer, designer or architect.
- You know what it takes to hire great engineers within the data space.
- You’re equally comfortable working hands on and leading a team.
Nice To Haves:
- Any experience working within a finance or banking environment
- Experience working in a highly regulated environment (e.g. finance, insurance, gaming, food, health care).
- Knowledge of regulatory reporting and treasury operations in retail banking
- Experience working with orchestration frameworks such as Airflow/Luigi
- Have previously used dbt, dataform or similar tooling.
- Used to AGILE ways of working (Kanban, Scrum)
- Experience with any of our stack of dbt, BigQuery and Looker
The interview process:
Our interview process involves 4 main stages:
- Recruiter Screening Call
- Initial Call
- Take Home Task
- Final Loop (3 sessions - case study, collaboration and tech leadership)
Our average process takes around 3-4 weeks but we will always work around your availability. You will have the chance to speak to our recruitment team at various points during your process but if you do have any specific questions ahead of this please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s in it for you:
💰 £92,000 - £130,000 ➕ plus stock options & benefits
✈️ We can help you relocate to the UK (delete if doesn’t apply)
✅ We can sponsor visas (delete if doesn’t apply).
📍This role can be based in our London office, but we're open to distributed working within the UK (with ad hoc meetings in London).
⏰ We offer flexible working hours and trust you to work enough hours to do your job well, at times that suit you and your team.
📚 Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
➕ And much more, see our full list of benefits here
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2022 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2022 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We’re an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, or veteran, neurodiversity or disability status.