Fraud Prevention Investigator
📍Remote, UK | 💰 | £24,675 - £26,250 (depending on the experience displayed in the CV and interview) + Benefits
Please only apply for this role if you have worked in a Fraud role within Financial Services.
We're here to make money work for everyone and we're doing things differently. We want to change that and build a bank with everyone, for everyone. Our amazing community suggests features, test the app and give us constant feedback so we can build something everyone loves.
We're focused on solving problems, rather than selling financial products. We want to make the world a better place and change people's lives through Monzo.
What you'll be doing: The Fraud Investigator role within our Prevent pillar provides vital intervention and response to Monzo customers who are experiencing potential active fraud attempts on their funds across two main channels:
- Authorised card payment fraud
- Authorised faster payment fraud
Our Mission in the Financial Crime & Fraud Collective is to earn and keep our customers’ trust, support Monzo’s safe growth, and contribute to building a safer society. Our Fraud Investigators are crucial to the success of this mission.
Your day to day:
Fraud Investigators within our Prevent pillar work within unregulated but critical deadlines.
Key responsibilities include:
- Gathering evidence from flagged transaction data
- Use of Monzo’s values to investigate the nature of suspicious transactions with empathy and attention to detail over the phone and via chat
- Use of Monzo’s values to reassure and support customers through the process of identifying active fraud
- Independently make decisions on cases and release or block flagged transactions up to a case value of £5,000.00
- Collaboratively make decisions on cases and release or block flagged transactions up to a case value of £10,000.00
- Triaging cases with a value of more than £10,000.00 for upwards escalation
- Reviewing limit increase requests from customers over the value of £50,000
- Submitting accounts for closure where first party concerns are held following investigation (in line with relevant guidance)
- Safeguarding compromised accounts and taking appropriate remedial action to ensure customers can resume safe usage of their Monzo account
- Providing advice and support to victims of fraud on how they can protect themselves in the future
- Completing any post-investigation activity as required
- Monday to Friday 9am - 6pm and a 1 in 12 weeks on a 1pm - 10pm (including Bank Holidays) + 1 in 3 weekend rotation (Saturday and Sunday)
You should apply if:
- You are able to start on 13th November 2023 and attend 6 weeks training, Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm (please note that we do not allow holidays or appointments during training)
- 6 months or more experience in banking or other financial services such as FOS, HMRC
- A law enforcement background with PIP level 1
- You're great at explaining things to people
- You're excited by our mission of making money work for everyone.
- Excellent English written & verbal communication skills
- Ability to be persuasive and empathetic
- Familiarity with common fraud typologies
- Confidence in investigating and problem solving and confident & concise decision-making
- Ability to work well independently & be collaborative with the wider team
- Values driven approach in line with Monzo’s core values
- You are a UK resident currently living in the UK and have the right to work in the UK.
The application process consists of
- some initial application questions (please take your time, we read these carefully!)
- A remote interview, lasting approximately 1 hour
What's in it for you:
- This is a distributed (work from home) role, but you can be based in our Cardiff office if you would prefer to work in an office environment
- Learning budget of £1,000 a year for books, training courses and conferences
- Please note that no holidays or appointments are permitted during the training period
To work remotely you'll also need:
- to work from home in the UK in a safe, private and distraction free environment
- a solid internet connection (download speed - 10mbps; upload speed - 5 mbps)
- We'll provide you with a Macbook laptop on your first day. There's no need to supply your own.
- You do need to own your own smartphone, this will be needed each time you log into our customer support system.
Equal Opportunity Statement
We are actively creating an equitable environment for every Monzonaut to thrive.
Diversity and inclusion are a priority for us and we are making sure we have lots of support for all of our people to grow at Monzo. At Monzo, embracing diversity in all of its forms and fostering an inclusive environment for all people to do the best work of their lives with us. This is integral to our mission of making money work for everyone. You can read more in our blog, 2022 Diversity and Inclusion Report and 2022 Gender Pay Gap Report.
We're an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to age, ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, or veteran, neurodiversity or disability status.