Mojo Developer Tools Engineer
We believe that AI is a net positive force in the world. Our vision and mission are to help rebuild AI infrastructure to advance humanity and our environment. We will do whatever it takes to empower our customers, team, and company to benefit from that pursuit. You can read about our culture and careers here to understand how we work and what we value.
We are owners and advocates for the underlying technologies, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure. These essential building blocks form the high-quality and coherent experiences our users expect. We aim to drive the pace of innovation for every AI/ML developer.
About the role:
Modular is looking for engineers to build a cutting-edge developer tooling experience for Mojo. We are looking for candidates with strong communication and teamwork skills who excel in collaborating across team boundaries. In this role you will work closely across teams to drive improvements across the toolchain, integrate with IDEs, and continue propelling Mojo to the forefront of usability.
We are a growing and deeply collaborative team building Mojo developer tools of all shapes and sizes. We value candidates passionate about upleveling the programming language development experience and tooling across the board.
LOCATION: Candidates based in the US or Canada are welcome to apply. You can work remotely from home.
What you will do:
- Tool Development: Conceptualize and implement tools to improve the productivity of Mojo developers, covering a wide spectrum from formatters, build systems, and documentation generation, to REPL and Jupyter Notebook support.
- IDE Integration: Collaborate with cross-functional teams to integrate developer tools seamlessly into IDEs and code editors, such as VS Code.
- Debugging and Profiling: Build foundation tools for debugging and profiling code, allowing developers to identify and resolve issues quickly.
- Code Analysis: Innovate tools for comprehensive static code analysis, code refactoring, and other features aimed at elevating the overall quality and maintainability of codebases.
- Collaboration: Forge strong collaborations with language designers, compiler engineers, and other stakeholders to ensure the seamless integration of tools within the broader programming language ecosystem.
What you bring to the table:
- 5+ years of developer tools, compiler or systems experience.
- Creativity and curiosity for solving complex problems, a team-oriented attitude that enables you to work well with others, and alignment with our culture.
- Strong knowledge of core compiler algorithms and data structures.
- In-depth knowledge of C++, as well as, knowledge of basic GitHub workflows like pull requests.
- Devotion to quality and engineering excellence.
Helpful, but not required:
- Experience with IDE integration, formatters, build systems, REPLs, and Jupyter notebook support.
- Experience with building end-user GUI tools.
- Strong knowledge of and experience working with MLIR and LLVM.
- Advanced degree in Computer Science or a related area.
The estimated base salary range for this role to be performed in the US, regardless of the state, is $166,500.00 - $242,000.00 USD.
The salary for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of permissible, non-discriminatory job-related factors, which include but are not limited to education, training, work experience, business needs, or market demands. This range may be modified in the future. The total compensation for a candidate will also include annual target bonus, equity, and benefits, with equity making up a significant portion of your total compensation.
For candidates who fall outside of the listed requirements, we nevertheless encourage you to apply as we may have openings that are lower/higher level than the ones advertised.
What Modular brings to the table:
- Amazing Team. We are a progressive and agile team with some of the industry’s best engineering and product leaders.
- Flexible Location. We want you to work where you are most productive and we are a remote-first company. We have offices in Palo Alto, CA and Seattle, WA for collaboration, and will open more next year.
- World-class Benefits. In order to attract the best, we need to offer the best. Premier insurance plans, up to 5% 401k matching, very generous WFH setup stipends, flexible paid time off, and more are available to you! Please note that specific benefit packages may vary based on your location.
- Competitive Compensation. We offer very strong compensation packages, including stock options. We want people to be focused on their best work and believe in tailoring compensation plans to meet the needs of our workforce.
- Team Building Events. We organize regular team onsites and local meetups in different cities.
Working at Modular will enable you to grow quickly as you work alongside incredibly motivated and talented people who have high standards, possess a growth mindset, and a purpose to truly change the world.
Modular is proud to emphasize an equal opportunity, safe environment for people to do their best work. Modular is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you require reasonable accommodations to participate in the interview process, please let your recruiter know, and we will work with you to meet your needs in compliance with the ADA.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.