Mojo Compiler Engineering Manager
We believe that AI is a net positive force in the world. Our vision and mission are to help rebuild AI infrastructure to advance humanity and our environment. We will do whatever it takes to empower our customers, team, and company to benefit from that pursuit. You can read about our culture and careers here to understand how we work and what we value.
We are owners and advocates for the underlying technologies, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure. These essential building blocks form the high-quality and coherent experiences our users expect. We aim to drive the pace of innovation for every AI/ML developer.
About the role:
Modular is building a next-generation AI infrastructure platform that unifies the many application frameworks and hardware backends, simplifying deployment for AI production teams and accelerating innovation for AI researchers and hardware developers. We are looking for a technical Software Engineering Manager to lead the development of the compiler for our Mojo 🔥programming language. In this role you will own the definition and design of Mojo 🔥language features and the compiler infrastructure that implements them. You will work to align the team on product deliverables, set team execution strategy and engineering practices, collaborate across teams to deliver Mojo 🔥to internal and external customers, and work closely with a growing community of Mojo developers (aka Mojicians 🔥). We are looking for candidates with compiler background and strong communication and teamwork skills who excel in collaborating across team boundaries. Join our world-leading team and help us redefine how AI systems are built.
LOCATION: Candidates based in the US or Canada are welcome to apply. You can work remotely from home.
What you will do:
- Lead Mojo 🔥Compiler team in building high-quality compiler infrastructure with state-of-the-art optimizations.
- Drive development of Mojo 🔥language features based on requirements of internal and external customers.
- Engage with the Mojo 🔥developer community and, in collaboration with other teams, drive adoption and evolution of Mojo 🔥.
- Provide technical leadership and career guidance to the team engineers helping them to realize their full potential and set and achieve career goals.
- Collaborate with engineering and cross-functional teams to build a balanced technology stack that fully utilizes today’s complex hardware systems.
What you bring to the table:
- 5+ years’ experience in compiler development, including 2+ years in a management role.
- Strong understanding of programming language and compiler development.
- Experience working with MLIR or LLVM.
- Proven experience in managing and developing a high-performance engineering team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and manage multiple priorities.
- Creativity and passion for building high-quality user-facing products.
Helpful but not required:
- Strong understanding of modern programming languages, such as Python, C++, Rust, Swift and Julia.
- Experience working with the open source developer community.
The estimated base salary range for this role to be performed in the US, regardless of the state, is $207,000.00 - $286,000.00 USD. The salary for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of permissible, non-discriminatory job-related factors, which include but are not limited to education, training, work experience, business needs, or market demands. This range may be modified in the future. The total compensation for a candidate will also include annual target bonus, equity, and benefits, with equity making up a significant portion of your total compensation.
For candidates who fall outside of the listed requirements, we nevertheless encourage you to apply as we may have openings that are lower/higher level than the ones advertised.
What Modular brings to the table:
- Amazing Team. We are a progressive and agile team with some of the industry’s best engineering and product leaders.
- Flexible Location. We want you to work where you are most productive and we are a remote-first company. We have offices in Palo Alto, CA and Seattle, WA for collaboration, and will open more next year.
- World-class Benefits. In order to attract the best, we need to offer the best. Premier insurance plans, up to 5% 401k matching, very generous WFH setup stipends, flexible paid time off, and more are available to you! Please note that specific benefit packages may vary based on your location.
- Competitive Compensation. We offer very strong compensation packages, including stock options. We want people to be focused on their best work and believe in tailoring compensation plans to meet the needs of our workforce.
- Team Building Events. We organize regular team onsites and local meetups in different cities.
Working at Modular will enable you to grow quickly as you work alongside incredibly motivated and talented people who have high standards, possess a growth mindset, and a purpose to truly change the world.
Modular is proud to emphasize an equal opportunity, safe environment for people to do their best work. Modular is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you require reasonable accommodations to participate in the interview process, please let your recruiter know, and we will work with you to meet your needs in compliance with the ADA.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.