Product Manager, AI Engine
We believe that AI is a net positive force in the world. Our vision and mission are to help rebuild AI infrastructure to advance humanity and our environment. We will do whatever it takes to empower our customers, team, and company to benefit from that pursuit. You can read about our culture and careers here to understand how we work and what we value.
We are owners and advocates for the underlying technologies, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure. These essential building blocks form the high-quality and coherent experiences our users expect. We aim to drive the pace of innovation for every AI/ML developer.
About the role:
Modular is building a next-generation AI infrastructure platform that unifies the many application frameworks and hardware backends, simplifying deployment for AI production teams and accelerating innovation for AI researchers and hardware developers. We are looking for a senior Product Manager to drive the development of key parts of our AI Engine and Tools, ensuring that Modular products meet customer needs and technical requirements. In this role, you will work closely with our frameworks, tooling, and customer engagements engineering teams, and interface directly with leading AI enterprise customers. Join our world-leading team and redefine how AI infrastructure is built and deployed.
LOCATION: Candidates based in the US or Canada are welcome to apply. You can work out of one of our offices in Seattle, WA, or remotely from home.
What you will do:
- Develop the strategic plan for key parts of Modular’s AI Engine and supporting toolkit, including defining the long-term vision, product roadmap, and release schedule.
- Work closely with customers and engineering teams to gather product requirements and prioritize these based on customer impact, business value, and technical feasibility.
- Understand the AI infrastructure market, conducting research, analyzing customer needs and trends, and assessing competition to make informed decisions.
- Launch industry-defining features, leading the team through phased testing and release process, prioritizing feedback and iterating quickly, and coordinating promotional activities.
- Collaborate with Engineering, Marketing, UX, and other cross-functional teams on cutting-edge technologies, ensuring a consistent and cohesive product development process and user-friendly UX and messaging.
- Define key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure product success, and work with analytics to ensure that you can track product performance, identify areas for improvement, and make data-driven decisions.
- Ensure that products align with Modular’s overall strategic goals and vision and contribute directly to our organization's success.
What you bring to the table:
- 5+ years of product management experience on highly technical developer-focused products.
- Experience driving new products from 0 to 1, including defining initial product vision, go-to-market strategy, and customer conversations.
- Experience developing, training, and/or deploying machine learning models into production environments.
- Experience working on product-led growth products, including understanding how to position free versus premium products to maximize paying customers.
- Have worked in or around startups before or have a strong understanding of the nature of fast-moving, highly dynamic teams. A customer-centric mindset, including being able to take customer needs and translating them into product requirements, while balancing technical constraints with customer expectations to deliver a successful product.
- A proactive and ownership mindset, with an attitude that seeks to drive positive change in the organization and learn more from our customers, team, and the broader market.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to communicate (both verbal and written) the value proposition of highly-technical developer products to enterprise customers.
- Ability to effectively collaborate cross-functionally, working closely with multiple engineering teams, program management, tech writing, and developer marketing.
- Master's degree or Ph.D. in Computer Science or related technical field.
Helpful experience (optional):
- Past experience working on AI infrastructure frameworks and deployment libraries like TensorFlow, PyTorch, TensorRT, CUDA, OpenVino, and ONNX Runtime.
- Experience designing high-quality UX/UI, including developer-focused APIs/CLI tools.
The estimated base salary range for this role to be performed in the US, regardless of the state, is $157,500.00 - $220,000.00 USD. The salary for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of permissible, non-discriminatory job-related factors, which include but are not limited to education, training, work experience, business needs, or market demands. This range may be modified in the future. The total compensation for a candidate will also include annual target bonus, equity, and benefits, with equity making up a significant portion of your total compensation.
For candidates who fall outside of the listed requirements, we nevertheless encourage you to apply as we may have openings that are lower/higher level than the ones advertised.
What Modular brings to the table:
- Amazing Team. We are a progressive and agile team with some of the industry’s best engineering and product leaders.
- Flexible Location. We want you to work where you are most productive and we are a remote-first company. We have offices in Palo Alto, CA and Seattle, WA for collaboration, and will open more next year.
- World-class Benefits. In order to attract the best, we need to offer the best. Premier insurance plans, up to 5% 401k matching, very generous WFH setup stipends, flexible paid time off, and more are available to you! Please note that specific benefit packages may vary based on your location.
- Competitive Compensation. We offer very strong compensation packages, including stock options. We want people to be focused on their best work and believe in tailoring compensation plans to meet the needs of our workforce.
- Team Building Events. We organize regular team onsites and local meetups in different cities.
Working at Modular will enable you to grow quickly as you work alongside incredibly motivated and talented people who have high standards, possess a growth mindset, and a purpose to truly change the world.
Modular is proud to emphasize an equal opportunity, safe environment for people to do their best work. Modular is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you require reasonable accommodations to participate in the interview process, please let your recruiter know, and we will work with you to meet your needs in compliance with the ADA.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.