Senior/Staff Product Designer
We believe that AI is a net positive force in the world. Our vision and mission are to help rebuild AI infrastructure to advance humanity and our environment. We will do whatever it takes to empower our customers, team, and company to benefit from that pursuit. You can read about our culture and careers here to understand how we work and what we value.
We are owners and advocates for the underlying technologies, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure. These essential building blocks form the high-quality and coherent experiences our users expect. We aim to drive the pace of innovation for every AI/ML developer.
About the role:
Modular is building a next-generation AI infrastructure platform that unifies the many application frameworks and hardware backends, simplifying deployment for AI production teams and accelerating innovation for AI researchers and hardware developers. We are building the future of AI infrastructure, and we are looking for our first Product Designer to help build world-class design across our product surfaces. We have valued beautiful design from Day 1, hiring a world class design firm in Metalab to help build out our first initial brand and product design (read more here), but as we continue to rapidly scale, we need to bring design in house. In this role, you will interface directly with our co-founders and senior product team to help build and deliver incredible designs and UX for our users, customers and partners around the world - you will have the unique opportunity to own, define and help scale our design. We are backed by world class investors including Google Ventures, General Catalyst, Greylock, SV Angel and more.
LOCATION: Candidates based in the US or Canada are welcome to apply. You can work out of one of our offices in Seattle, WA, or remotely from home.
What you will do:
- Produce wireframes and design prototypes for product teams, including detailed design specifications for engineering.
- Define, design and develop high-fidelity interfaces and developer focused user experiences for web and different device environments.
- Drive design reviews, user feedback data, and product user driven feedback design iterations that improve our overall product experience.
- Own our brand book and continue to drive our brand and overall design across all our product surfaces and external design interfaces.
- Advocate for our customers, bringing customer needs into your design and UX output.
- Stay up-to-date on industry trends and best practices in design, and continuously improve design workflows and processes.
- Develop project plans, defining milestones and success criteria, and ensuring successful on-time delivery.
- Regularly communicate project status, progress and issues to internal stakeholders to ensure everyone is aligned on project status and next steps.
What you bring to the table:
- 7+ years of experience as a product designer with at least 3 years on developer facing products and a track record for building simple and elegant solutions to complex problems.
- Proven portfolio of high-quality work which includes a variety of projects, demonstrating your ability to work with different types of users, products, and platforms.
- Strong understanding of design principles and best practices with strong skills in visual design and interaction design.
- Expertise in design tools such as Figma, or other tools for wireframing and prototyping.
- Ability to create visually appealing designs for developers on web and developer platforms.
- A growth and leadership mindset, with an attitude that seeks to learn more from our customers, team, and the broader market.
Helpful experience but not required:
- Experience working with technical developer infrastructure and/or AI/ML infrastructure products such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, TensorRT, and CUDA, and/or knowledge of cloud technologies and platforms like AWS, GCP, Azure, Kubernetes, VertexAI, and Sagemaker.
- Strong project management skills, including experience with common project management methodologies and tools (e.g., Agile).
- Have worked in or around startups before or have a strong understanding of the nature of fast-moving, highly dynamic teams.
- Some experience in user research to create designs that are truly user-centered partnering closely with Product.
The estimated base salary range for this role to be performed in the US, regardless of the state, is $180,000.00 - $220,000.00 USD. The salary for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of permissible, non-discriminatory job-related factors, which include but are not limited to education, training, work experience, business needs, or market demands. This range may be modified in the future. The total compensation for a candidate will also include annual target bonus, equity, and benefits, with equity making up a significant portion of your total compensation.
For candidates who fall outside of the listed requirements, we nevertheless encourage you to apply as we may have openings that are lower/higher level than the ones advertised. #LI-DNI
What Modular brings to the table:
- Amazing Team. We are a progressive and agile team with some of the industry’s best engineering and product leaders.
- Flexible Location. We want you to work where you are most productive and we are a remote-first company. We have offices in Palo Alto, CA and Seattle, WA for collaboration, and will open more next year.
- World-class Benefits. In order to attract the best, we need to offer the best. Premier insurance plans, up to 5% 401k matching, very generous WFH setup stipends, flexible paid time off, and more are available to you! Please note that specific benefit packages may vary based on your location.
- Competitive Compensation. We offer very strong compensation packages, including stock options. We want people to be focused on their best work and believe in tailoring compensation plans to meet the needs of our workforce.
- Team Building Events. We organize regular team onsites and local meetups in different cities.
Working at Modular will enable you to grow quickly as you work alongside incredibly motivated and talented people who have high standards, possess a growth mindset, and a purpose to truly change the world.
Modular is proud to emphasize an equal opportunity, safe environment for people to do their best work. Modular is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you require reasonable accommodations to participate in the interview process, please let your recruiter know, and we will work with you to meet your needs in compliance with the ADA.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.