Data Engineering Lead
We believe that AI is a net positive force in the world. Our vision and mission are to help rebuild AI infrastructure to advance humanity and our environment. We will do whatever it takes to empower our customers, team, and company to benefit from that pursuit. You can read about our culture and careers here to understand how we work and what we value.
We are owners and advocates for the underlying technologies, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure. These essential building blocks form the high-quality and coherent experiences our users expect. We aim to drive the pace of innovation for every AI/ML developer.
About the role:
Modular is building a next-generation AI infrastructure platform that unifies the many application frameworks and hardware backends, simplifying deployment for AI production teams and accelerating innovation for AI researchers and hardware developers. We are building the future of AI infrastructure, and we are looking for a highly technical and experienced software engineer who can help build out our foundational data infrastructure for deep insights into our engineering processes, product, sales and operations. This will span across building and designing data pipelines, to helping drive statistical techniques and AI to measure and optimize our product, build data-driven solutions and provide in-depth analysis for our business.
LOCATION: Candidates based in the US are welcome to apply. You can work out of one of our offices in Seattle, WA, or remotely from home.
What you will do:
- Lead the design, development, and maintenance of the company's data infrastructure. This includes defining the overall architecture of the data infrastructure, designing and implementing data pipelines and ETL processes, and managing the data storage and security.
- Drive the execution of projects, overseeing the entire development lifecycle from planning to delivery, while maintaining high standards of quality and timely completion.
- Work with stakeholders to gather requirements and define data solutions including driving cross-functional data requirements, and understanding the needs of the business users and translating those needs into technical requirements.
- Architect and implement data pipelines and ETL processes including designing and building the systems that move data from source to destination (and reverse), and transforming it into a format that can be used by the business, with appropriate considerations for cost, reliability, security and data quality.
What you bring to the table:
- 7+ years of experience in data engineering and/or Master's degree in computer science, data science, or a related field.
- Strong understanding of data engineering principles and practices.
- Experience with data modeling, warehousing, data quality, security and compliance issues.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Helpful experience but not required:
- Direct experience with a variety of data-related technologies and products, such as BigQuery, Athena, Snowflake, Kafka, Spark, and Flink.
- Managed teams that operated large-scale data infrastructure.
- Experience working with technical developer infrastructure and/or AI/ML infrastructure products such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, TensorRT, and CUDA, and/or knowledge of cloud technologies and platforms like AWS, GCP, Azure, Kubernetes, VertexAI, and Sagemaker.
- Have worked in or around startups before or have a strong understanding of the nature of fast-moving, highly dynamic teams.
The estimated base salary range for this role to be performed in the US, regardless of the state, is $207,000.00 - $253,000.00 USD. The salary for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of permissible, non-discriminatory job-related factors, which include but are not limited to education, training, work experience, business needs, or market demands. This range may be modified in the future. The total compensation for a candidate will also include annual target bonus, equity, and benefits, with equity making up a significant portion of your total compensation.
For candidates who fall outside of the listed requirements, we nevertheless encourage you to apply as we may have openings that are lower/higher level than the ones advertised. #LI-DNI
What Modular brings to the table:
- Amazing Team. We are a progressive and agile team with some of the industry’s best engineering and product leaders.
- Flexible Location. We want you to work where you are most productive and we are a remote-first company. We have offices in Palo Alto, CA and Seattle, WA for collaboration, and will open more next year.
- World-class Benefits. In order to attract the best, we need to offer the best. Premier insurance plans, up to 5% 401k matching, very generous WFH setup stipends, flexible paid time off, and more are available to you! Please note that specific benefit packages may vary based on your location.
- Competitive Compensation. We offer very strong compensation packages, including stock options. We want people to be focused on their best work and believe in tailoring compensation plans to meet the needs of our workforce.
- Team Building Events. We organize regular team onsites and local meetups in different cities.
Working at Modular will enable you to grow quickly as you work alongside incredibly motivated and talented people who have high standards, possess a growth mindset, and a purpose to truly change the world.
Modular is proud to emphasize an equal opportunity, safe environment for people to do their best work. Modular is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you require reasonable accommodations to participate in the interview process, please let your recruiter know, and we will work with you to meet your needs in compliance with the ADA.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.