Engineering Manager, Mojo Programming Language
We believe that AI is a net positive force in the world. Our vision and mission are to help rebuild AI infrastructure to advance humanity and our environment. We will do whatever it takes to empower our customers, team, and company to benefit from that pursuit. You can read about our culture and careers here to understand how we work and what we value.
We are owners and advocates for the underlying technologies, developer platforms, product components, and infrastructure. These essential building blocks form the high-quality and coherent experiences our users expect. We aim to drive the pace of innovation for every AI/ML developer.
About the role:
Modular is building the next-generation AI infrastructure platform that will radically improve the way developers build and deploy AI models. A key component in our technology stack is the Mojo programming language, which combines usability of Python with the performance of C++ and Rust, unlocking programmability of AI hardware. While Mojo is intentionally designed to look like Python and become a superset of Python over time, it also supports a rich set of system programming features, compile-time metaprogramming and autotuning. We are seeking an engineering leader with strong experience in programming system development to help us drive Mojo language design, implementation and developer tooling. This is a unique opportunity to lead development of a new programming language with a rapidly growing user base and a revolutionary impact on AI software.
LOCATION: Candidates based in the US or Canada are welcome to apply. You can work out of one of our offices in Seattle, WA, or remotely from home.
What you will do:
- Drive development of Mojo language features, implementation and development tooling.
- Lead Mojo engineering team and provide technical guidance and mentoring to the team engineers.
- Engage with Mojo community and, in collaboration with product, drive adoption and evolution of Mojo.
- Ensure that the engineering team builds state-of-the-art technology and follows best practices in software development and project management.
- Provide technical leadership and career guidance to the team engineers helping them to realize their full potential and set and achieve career goals.
- Collaborate with engineering and cross-functional teams to build a balanced technology stack that fully utilizes today’s complex server and mobile systems.
What you bring to the table:
- 5+ years experience in building programming systems, including 2+ years in a leadership role.
- Strong understanding of the internals of modern programming languages, such as Python, C++, Rust, Swift or Julia.
- Proven experience in managing and developing a high-performance engineering team.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and manage multiple priorities.
- Creativity and passion for building high-quality user-facing products.
- Experience working with the open source developer community is a strong plus.
The estimated base salary range for this role to be performed in the US, regardless of the state, is $207,000.00 - $286,000.00 USD. The salary for the successful applicant will depend on a variety of permissible, non-discriminatory job-related factors, which include but are not limited to education, training, work experience, business needs, or market demands. This range may be modified in the future. The total compensation for a candidate will also include annual target bonus, equity, and benefits, with equity making up a significant portion of your total compensation.
For candidates who fall outside of the listed requirements, we nevertheless encourage you to apply as we may have openings that are lower/higher level than the ones advertised.
What Modular brings to the table:
- Amazing Team. We are a progressive and agile team with some of the industry’s best engineering and product leaders.
- Flexible Location. We want you to work where you are most productive and we are a remote-first company. We have offices in Palo Alto, CA and Seattle, WA for collaboration, and will open more next year.
- World-class Benefits. In order to attract the best, we need to offer the best. Premier insurance plans, up to 5% 401k matching, very generous WFH setup stipends, flexible paid time off, and more are available to you! Please note that specific benefit packages may vary based on your location.
- Competitive Compensation. We offer very strong compensation packages, including stock options. We want people to be focused on their best work and believe in tailoring compensation plans to meet the needs of our workforce.
- Team Building Events. We organize regular team onsites and local meetups in different cities.
Working at Modular will enable you to grow quickly as you work alongside incredibly motivated and talented people who have high standards, possess a growth mindset, and a purpose to truly change the world.
Modular is proud to emphasize an equal opportunity, safe environment for people to do their best work. Modular is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity, or Veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
This employer participates in E-Verify and will provide the federal government with your Form I-9 information to confirm that you are authorized to work in the U.S. If E-Verify cannot confirm that you are authorized to work, this employer is required to give you written instructions and an opportunity to contact Department of Homeland Security (DHS) or Social Security Administration (SSA) so you can begin to resolve the issue before the employer can take any action against you, including terminating your employment. Employers can only use E-Verify once you have accepted a job offer and completed the Form I-9.