Engineering Intern-Summer 2024-Canada
Mark43 is approved to hire in 39 states, including AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WV, and WI. Before applying to a remote role, please ensure that you are able to perform the position in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
Mark43’s mission is to empower communities and their governments with new technologies that improve the safety and quality of life for all. We build powerful, scalable, and elegant software that sets a new standard for the tools upon which our first responders rely. Our users are diverse, and we are therefore committed to embracing diversity of thought and experience within our team.
Mark43 is seeking bright and ambitious engineering students for our annual remote paid summer internship program. We are primarily looking for students graduating in the Spring/Summer of 2025. This is a 12-week internship, starting on June 4, 2024.
While interning at Mark43, you will be fully integrated into the team and will have the chance to build upon product features that will eventually be put into production. This will be a well-rounded full-stack coding experience. Your days will be spent working alongside product managers and designers. By the end of the summer, you'll be able to fully appreciate the full lifecycle of a feature from start to finish. We are building complex mission-critical software, due to this, the ideal intern candidate will be someone who has completed their junior year before starting the internship. Prior internship experience building enterprise software is a huge plus.
What you can expect to work on:
- Building new features for our products from the ground up
- Debugging code written by other engineers
- Collaborating with design and product teams to understand feature requirements
- Documenting your work in a clear and concise manner
- Gaining an understanding of the many moving parts of a complex enterprise software platform
- Continuously improving your coding skills while working alongside a talented and high-performing engineering team
What we expect from you:
- Server side development experience; we use Java
- Experience with web architecture, such as HTTP & RESTful APIs
- A demonstrated understanding of core CS concepts such as data structures and algorithms
- Willingness to empathize with users who may be unlike yourself
- Coming to work with an open mind and leaving your ego at the door
- Ownership over your work and a commitment to every part of a task, from the big picture to small details
- An attitude that is self-motivated, humble, detail-oriented, and committed to quality
What you can expect from us:
- Hands-on mentorship from a seasoned member of our team
- Building mission-critical and socially responsible software to enable first responders to better serve their communities
- The opportunity to see your work in action, whether in deployed internal tools or fully launched features
- Constant collaboration with numerous Mark43 teams, including design, product management, and implementation
- A team that respects and embraces your ideas and expertise
- Coworkers that are motivated by pursuing excellence, rather than the prospect of personal gain
- A workplace dedicated to supporting and bettering public safety and government agencies
- Regularly scheduled team social events and other summer activities, such as our engineering Hackathon
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Compensation for this role is paid an hourly rate of $35 per hour.
Mark43 is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please email recruiting@Mark43.com requesting the accommodation.