Product Design Intern - Summer 2024
Mark43 is approved to hire in 39 states, including AL, AZ, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, NE, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, OH, OR, PA, SC, SD, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WA, WV, and WI. Before applying to a remote role, please ensure that you are able to perform the position in one of the states listed above. State locations and specifics are subject to change as our hiring requirements shift.
Mark43’s mission is to empower communities and their governments with new technologies that improve the safety and quality of life for all. We build powerful, scalable, and elegant software that sets a new design standard for the tools our first responders rely on.
About the job
Come join our design team as a paid intern, and learn what it’s like to design software for police officers, detectives, and 911 dispatchers. You’ll be working with close-knit, highly skilled and passionate designers, as well as some of the industry’s best product managers and engineers. As an intern at Mark43, you’ll be responsible for tackling real problems we need solved while working with real customers. Some examples of past intern work has included: a real-time map for dispatchers to keep track of first responders on the street, a dark mode color theme to keep first responders safe at night, native mobile active event list, and a command line feature to control our dispatch software. Get ready to be challenged and grow!
We are primarily looking for students graduating in the Spring/Summer of 2025. Our internship program will be running from June 4th, 2024 - August 30, 2024.
What you can expect to achieve
- Own the end-to-end design process while collaborating with product, engineering and your design mentor
- Work on challenging, meaningful, real-world projects
- Work on complex UX and UI problems
- Practice accessible and inclusive design using and contributing to our design system
- Work as an end-to-end designer while practicing design techniques across the entire design process (user research, validation, workflow diagramming, wire-framing, prototyping, etc.)
- Build skills and grow with mentorship and feedback from the design team
What we expect from you
- Understanding of design fundamentals (layout, hierarchy, typography, common UI patterns)
- Experience making design decisions amidst constraints and/or with cross-functional teammates (ie, product, engineering, research, etc)
- Interest in utilizing qualitative and quantitative research to inform design decisions
- Willingness to justify and defend design decisions to stakeholders
- Self-motivated (we love side projects), curious, detail oriented, and committed to quality
- Willingness to empathize with users who may be unlike yourself
- Interest in technology, civic, and public safety issues
- Have a portfolio of work that demonstrate your process as well as showcasing completed design solution
What you can expect from us
- Mentorship on becoming a great product designer
- Building mission critical and socially responsible software to enable first responders to better serve their communities
- Constructive and actionable feedback on your work from designers at all levels
- Gain experience at the arising intersection of design/technology/government
Read more about our work from our design team on Medium:
- My On-Site Research Experience as a Design Intern at Mark43
- My Remote Product Design Internship Experience at Mark43
- Records Privacy: Designing for our Users and their Communities
- Refreshing design principles for a growing gov tech startup
We feel passionately about equal pay for equal work, and transparency in compensation is one vehicle to achieve that. Compensation for this role is paid at an hourly rate of $40 per hour.
Mark43 is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. As part of this commitment, we will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed, please email recruiting@Mark43.com requesting the accommodation.