Senior Media Software Engineer, Media & Intelligence
Loom is the video communication platform for async work that helps companies communicate better at scale. Loom makes it easy to record quick videos of your screen and camera and instantly share them with a link. More than 20M users across 350k+ companies around the world trust Loom to share feedback, updates, intros, training, and more – every day. Founded in late 2015, Loom has raised $203M from world-class investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia, Kleiner Perkins, Iconiq, and Coatue.
The Media & Intelligence team lives at the heart of Loom’s product development, providing a set of libraries, services, and APIs used across our systems to power recording, editing, playback and advanced AI features. We are now seeking passionate software engineers to join us to build efficient, reliable, and capable infrastructures to unlock the power of Loom. As a team member, you will create and optimize cross-platform technologies that power our product experience of Loom creation, editing, and viewing. You will strongly influence the roadmap charting the future of Loom innovations.
- Architect and build the server-side and client-side infrastructure that enables engineering teams to build world-class video messaging products.
- Design and implement innovative media features that delight our users and differentiate Loom’s products and services from our competitors.
- Identify opportunities and drive critical initiatives to improve our media infrastructure to drive down operation and engineering costs.
- Uphold a high standard of engineering excellence because the performance and reliability of media infrastructure directly impact our product experience, hence the perception of Loom’s overall brand.
- Diagnose and improve the quality of the end-to-end video experience. Optimize our media pipelines to be performant across all the platforms that Loom is offering (Mac, Windows, Chrome Extension, iOS, Android)
- Display strong ownership and influence over the team's roadmap and, therefore, significantly impact the company's strategy.
- Mentor and provide technical guidance to junior engineers, fostering a collaborative and learning environment within the team
What We're Looking For
- 4+ years of experience in a professional hands on software development position.
- Deep knowledge and hands-on experience with complicated distributed systems.
- Experience and passion for working across multiple platforms, operating systems, and programming languages.
- Solid understanding and experience with concurrency, multithreading, and real-time systems.
- Strong proficiency in C++.
- Experience with profiling and optimizing resource-intensive applications.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to collaborate cross-functionally between groups with different technologies and pipelines
- Experience with developing cloud service (AWS, GCP, etc.) and streaming technologies.
- Experience building FFmpeg filters or have worked with FFmpeg APIs and tools.
- Experience with at least one mainstream media codecs and container format (VP8/x264/AAC/HLS etc.).
- Experience with video/audio distribution or streaming technologies.
Perks at Loom
- Competitive compensation and equity package
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and dependents (for US employees)
- 14 paid company holidays plus Summer Break in July and Winter Break in December
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA) and Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account (DCFSA)
- Healthcare reimbursement (for International employees)
- Life, AD&D, Short and Long Term Disability Insurance
- 401(k) with 4% company matching
- Wellness stipends
- Flexible PTO
- Paid parental leave
- Remote work opportunities
- Professional development reimbursement
- Home office & technology reimbursement