Lead Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Monday, August 7, 2023
Local Kitchens helps the best local restaurants expand to new cities with our network of micro food halls. We are shaping the path of a $900bn restaurant industry to go digital while bringing high-quality food options to families in every neighborhood. Today, we are operating in the SF Bay Area, Sacramento, and Orange County regions, and rapidly expanding throughout California in 2023.
Our team was on the founding team at DoorDash and we are well-capitalized by tier 1 venture capital investors and angels like David Novak (CEO/Founder of Yum Brands), Tony Xu (CEO of DoorDash), and Jack Dorsey (CEO of Square/Twitter). Read more about us in QSR Magazine, QSR Web, and in the SF Business Times.
About The Role:
Local Kitchens is seeking a Lead Software Engineer to bring customer-obsessed technical leadership to the team. We've built an end-to-end platform for executing live orders in a high SKU kitchen, as well as successfully launched and marketed 3 direct ordering channels (mobile, web, and kiosk). Now, we need to scale those systems with high uptime and low ongoing maintenance costs to power thousands of locations. Along the way, you will take an active role in recruiting and mentorship while exercising autonomy and authority over technical decision-making. This is an ideal role for someone who has previously been a tech lead for a growth stage engineering team and prides themselves on their product sense and user focus.
- Contribute across the codebase to product development as well as infrastructure investments
- Own the development and execution of the team’s technical roadmap
- Establish guilds/working groups that will execute on the technical roadmap and increase test coverage, codebase health, uptime, and improve developer experience
- Mentor engineers on the team through code review and pair programming
- Lead and empower technical decision making, through an excellent RFC culture
- Contribute to and amplify Local Kitchens’ engineering and product culture
- Work with designers and PMs to accurately forecast delivery timelines of the product roadmap
- Interview and recruit other engineers to join the team
- 7+ years of experience, ideally in a consumer company
- Strong grasp of React, Typescript, and GraphQL
- Previously led migrations of critical services
- Passion for solving our guests most burning problems
Nice to Have:
- E-commerce or marketplace experience
- Mix of early and growth stage startup experience
- Guest love: Local Kitchens exists to make guests happy. We start with “what would the guest want?” and work backwards. Support Center works to serve our kitchen teams, so that they can take care of our guests.
- First principles thinking: We keep asking “why” like a 4-year old and never accept the status quo. We are truth seekers. We reason from fundamental truths in order to invent new ways to delight guests.
- Operate at the lowest level of detail: We solve problems at the lowest level of detail e.g. by going to the kitchen. We measure everything and win arguments with data. We don’t use sloppy thinking.
- Relentless: We outwork everyone, it’s our most controllable competitive advantage. We don’t get knocked down when things are tough.
- Drive for excellence: We are intrinsically motivated and strive to get 1% better every day.
- No job beneath you: We do whatever is needed to help the team win. We don’t understand the words “that’s not my job”. We always wash the dishes.
- Play with joy: We bring joy to work every day. We support each other with contagious energy and optimism. We choose to have fun even when it feels like a grind.
This is an opportunity of a lifetime! Local Kitchens is being built by some of the best in the world including the first few employees at DoorDash and Momofuku. We are backed by some of the best investors in the world. We have set out to work as hard as humanly possible, to work as a team, and to serve local communities with the best selection of food and the best employment opportunities. If you're someone who is looking for a career-defining opportunity, someone who is willing to grind it out day after day, someone who has enthusiasm for guests and partners - we want to hear from you.