Machine Learning Engineer
Layer Health is an AI startup recently spun out of MIT CSAIL, revolutionizing clinical documentation by leveraging the power of large language models. Having deployed our technology in real-world health systems, we've witnessed how the difficulty of accurately and efficiently extracting information from clinical notes affects all aspects of healthcare. We are building an AI layer that will radically speed up and improve the quality of extracting and synthesizing information from medical records, with the mission to reduce friction everywhere in healthcare, power the future of precision medicine, and ultimately improve patient outcomes. Our diverse founding team brings expertise across machine learning, large language models, medicine, and human-computer interaction.
We’re seeking exceptional engineers to join our seed-stage stealth company as early members. Together, we will create the AI layer that will redefine healthcare for the better.
We’re hiring an exceptional machine learning engineer. In this role, you will be responsible for advancing our fundamental ML and data science capabilities for healthcare.
You can expect to:
- Analyze complex healthcare datasets, build predictive models, and extract valuable insights from clinical data to enhance decision making throughout healthcare.
- Apply state-of-the-art NLP techniques to healthcare data, including both unstructured and structured sources.
- Work hand-in-hand with our customers to best leverage Layer Health’s technologies and supercharge their workflows.
- Closely collaborate with our engineering team to translate data science models into scalable, production-ready solutions.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest in NLP and generative AI research literature and proactively integrate these technologies into the product where applicable.
- Establish and enforce best practices for data science, analytics, machine learning engineering, and code development.
- Cultivate and foster a robust and thoughtful data science and product culture that drives the company forward.
We look for:
- 2-5 years of professional experience in data science or ML engineering, including a proven track record of successful projects in healthcare or clinical applications.
- Strong programming skills in Python, and fluency with modern data science and ML/NLP libraries (PyTorch, Tensorflow, HuggingFace, etc.).
- A strong communicator who thrives in a customer-focused, fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of both statistical and modern deep learning (e.g. transformer) techniques and architectures.
- Experience writing production-grade data science or machine learning code in a modern tech stack.
- An excited and adaptable team player who wants to disrupt the healthcare industry with AI/ML, alongside an awesome team.
- We are a Boston-based company, and expect engineers to meet regularly in-person in Boston (engineers from Boston, NYC, or east coast are welcome).
Join us and help us transform healthcare with AI.