Security Systems Engineer, IAM
We're transforming the grocery industry
At Instacart, we invite the world to share love through food because we believe everyone should have access to the food they love and more time to enjoy it together. Where others see a simple need for grocery delivery, we see exciting complexity and endless opportunity to serve the varied needs of our community. We work to deliver an essential service that customers rely on to get their groceries and household goods, while also offering safe and flexible earnings opportunities to Instacart Personal Shoppers.
Instacart has become a lifeline for millions of people, and we’re building the team to help push our shopping cart forward. If you’re ready to do the best work of your life, come join our table.
Instacart is a Flex First team
There’s no one-size fits all approach to how we do our best work. Our employees have the flexibility to choose where they do their best work—whether it’s from home, an office, or your favorite coffee shop—while staying connected and building community through regular in-person events. Learn more about our flexible approach to where we work.
We are looking for an experienced software engineer with a passion for security and a deep understanding of zero trust architecture to join our platform security team. You will work at the intersection of software engineering, security engineering, and infrastructure engineering to ensure Instacart’s production environment adheres to zero trust principles. Instacart requires a dynamic approach to employee access across our diverse application portfolio as well as our production environment.
Our goal is to run the world's most trusted and secure delivery platform. Platform security works across all of Instacart’s products to ensure we deploy trustworthy systems and protect our customers’, shoppers’, and partners’ data while providing an excellent user experience.
About the Team
The platform security team at Instacart is responsible for ensuring the security and privacy of Instacart’s suite of products including our consumer Instacart app, and our retailer platform. We are an engineering first team that believes in creating a paved road of security primitives for engineers to easily build secure products.
In this role, you will continue to build out our next-generation access management controls, ensuring they’re both user-friendly and firmly secure. You’ll be one of the subject-matter experts around all things authentication, authorization, or permissions-related. This position offers a unique chance for someone eager to take ownership, embrace challenges, and foster both technical and interpersonal skills in a fast-paced environment.
About the Job
- You will continue our zero trust journey by architecting, designing, and implementing best-in-class solutions across our applications and infrastructure.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including infrastructure, data engineering, and IT, to integrate zero trust tools and principles.
- Engage in hands-on problem solving, crafting solutions that scale with our growing ecosystem of apps and infrastructure.
- Participate in on-call rotations, ensuring our zero trust systems operate flawlessly and are ready to support our employees during critical situations, such as incidents.
- Evaluate and leverage state-of-the-art tools and technologies that enhance Instacart’s access management story.
- Share knowledge and mentor other team members, promoting a culture of continuous learning and improvement.
- 5+ years of experience in the Information Security field, with a primary focus on zero trust architectures and implementations.
- Strong foundation in cloud technologies, with practical experience in securing cloud environments and understanding of container security and container access control.
- Experience developing tools and automation using common DevOps toolsets (e.g. git) and programming languages, such as Python, Ruby, or Go.
- Extensive knowledge of access management and IAM principals, technologies, and best practices.
- Hands–on experience with corporate zero trust, access management, and infrastructure access tooling such as Opal, ConductorOne, Okta Identity Governance, Okta Advanced Server Access, Teleport, Twingate, and Tailscale.
- Excellent communication skills, emphasizing the ability to clearly summarize complex security topics and serve as a strong advocate for the zero trust model.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Security, Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience.
- Experience working in a zero trust environment, and building or managing services responsible for authentication and authorization.
- Strong experience working with AWS or GCP, both as an end-user and in an administrative or security oversight capacity.
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) technologies, especially Terraform.
- Some experience developing web applications with Ruby a plus.
Instacart provides highly market-competitive compensation and benefits in each location where our employees work. This role is remote and the base pay range for a successful candidate is dependent on their permanent work location. Please review our Flex First remote work policy here.
Offers may vary based on many factors, such as candidate experience and skills required for the role. Additionally, this role is eligible for a new hire equity grant as well as annual refresh grants. Please read more about our benefits offerings here.
For US based candidates, the base pay ranges for a successful candidate are listed below.