Senior Data Scientist, Health Care (Hybrid)
Homeward is a technology-enabled healthcare provider delivering quality, affordable and comprehensive care to those who don’t have it. Starting in rural America. Today, 60 million Americans living in rural communities are facing a crisis of access to care. In the U.S. healthcare system, rural Americans experience significantly poorer clinical outcomes. This trend is rapidly accelerating as rural hospitals close and physician shortages increase, exacerbating health disparities. In fact, Americans living in rural communities suffer a mortality rate 23 percent higher than those in urban communities, in part because of the lack of access to quality care.
Our vision is care that enables everyone to achieve their best health. So, we’re rearchitecting the way it’s delivered – leveraging breakthroughs in diagnostics, remote monitoring, and a variety of other domains, Homeward is creating a new healthcare delivery model that is purpose-built for rural America and directly addresses the issues that have historically limited access and quality.
Most importantly, we’re aligning everyone’s incentives (ours, partner health plans’, and members’) towards getting and keeping people healthy by taking full responsibility and financial risk for the total cost of each member’s healthcare and outcomes.
Homeward is co-founded by a leadership team that defined and delivered Livongo’s products, and backed most recently by a $50 million series B co-led by Arch Ventures and Human Capital, with participation from General Catalyst for a total of $70 million in funding. With this leadership team and funding, Homeward is committed to bringing high-quality healthcare to rural communities in need.
Join us in tackling healthcare for rural America! We’re seeking a Senior Data Scientist, Health Care who is passionate about having a positive societal impact and for using technology for good – solving issues of health inequity for communities that have been perennially underserved.
As an early hire, you’ll lead the development of our utilization, cost, and clinical data science functions, spanning from business intelligence to deep-dive analytics to risk stratification prediction and modeling, leveraging your proven track record for success in health care analytics, actuarial, or data science.
What you’ll do:
- Deliver analytic and data science products – from business intelligence to analytics to predictive modeling – within the health care data domain (e.g., clinical outcomes, clinical quality, cost of care)
- Develop risk stratification models using EHR, claims, RA, actuarial experience, and a variety of other data sources to match our members with the appropriate care pathways
- Conduct opportunity assessments for reducing total cost of care or improving code capture as we work in new geographies and with new clients and partners
- Evaluate the effectiveness of service delivery for different population segments relative to clinical and cost outcomes
- Collaborate with the Technology team to purpose-build a healthcare data infrastructure that supports high-impact analytics
What you bring:
- 5+ years of hands-on health care analytics, actuarial, or data science experience
- Strong technical skills necessary to perform advanced analytics: coding (e.g., R, Python, Scala), experience with data management and visualization tools (e.g., SQL, Tableau, Looker, Metabase, open source platforms), and experience performing machine-learned analysis with large datasets
- Deep experience with clinical and/or claims data, especially Medicare data
- A collaborative approach to working with stakeholders to help define the question, shape the analysis plan, and deliver and interpret results or models
- Ability to dive deep into details and zoom out to see the big picture
- Previous experience developing risk stratification models with a variety of healthcare data sources
- Experience with value-based care analytics and data science
- Experience working on a small, fast-paced team
- Strong foundation in probability & statistics, demonstrated expertise with ML tools, SQL, Python, and statistical & ML packages
- Experience empowering Teammates' work via mentorship, coaching, synchronous & asynchronous code review, and leading by empathy and example
What shapes our company:
- Deep commitment to one another, the people and communities we serve, and to care that enables everyone to achieve their best health
- Compassion and empathy
- Curiosity, and an eagerness to listen
- Drive to deliver high-quality experiences, clinical care, and cost-effectiveness
- Strong focus on sustainability of our business and scalability of our services, to maximize our reach and impact
- Nurturing a diverse workforce, with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and points of view
- Taking our mission and business seriously, but not taking ourselves too seriously– having fun as we build!
- Competitive salary, equity grant, generous paid time off
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental & vision insurance with 100% of monthly premium covered for employees
- Company-sponsored 401k plan
- Flexible working arrangement
At Homeward, a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences enrich our teams and allow us to achieve above and beyond our goals. If you have yet to gain experience in the areas detailed above, we hope you will share your unique background with us in your application and how it can be additive to our teams.
Homeward is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Homeward is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.