Senior Data Engineer (Hybrid)
Homeward is a technology-enabled healthcare provider delivering quality, affordable and comprehensive care to those who don’t have it. Starting in rural America. Today, 60 million Americans living in rural communities are facing a crisis of access to care. In the U.S. healthcare system, rural Americans experience significantly poorer clinical outcomes. This trend is rapidly accelerating as rural hospitals close and physician shortages increase, exacerbating health disparities. In fact, Americans living in rural communities suffer a mortality rate 23 percent higher than those in urban communities, in part because of the lack of access to quality care.
Our vision is care that enables everyone to achieve their best health. So, we’re rearchitecting the way it’s delivered – leveraging breakthroughs in diagnostics, remote monitoring, and a variety of other domains, Homeward is creating a new healthcare delivery model that is purpose-built for rural America and directly addresses the issues that have historically limited access and quality.
Most importantly, we’re aligning everyone’s incentives (ours, partner health plans’, and members’) towards getting and keeping people healthy by taking full responsibility and financial risk for the total cost of each member’s healthcare and outcomes.
Homeward is co-founded by a leadership team that defined and delivered Livongo’s products, and backed most recently by a $50 million series B co-led by Arch Ventures and Human Capital, with participation from General Catalyst for a total of $70 million in funding. With this leadership team and funding, Homeward is committed to bringing high-quality healthcare to rural communities in need.
Join us in tackling healthcare for rural America! We’re seeking a Sr. Data Engineer to be a key contributor to our Data team who is passionate about having positive societal impact and using technology for good - solving issues of health inequity for communities that have been perennially underserved. As a Sr. Data Engineer, you’ll partner closely with our product, engineering, and analytics teams to support data-driven decision making across the company by leading the design and development of our technical data infrastructure.
What you’ll do:
- Work with data science, product, engineering, operations, and clinical teams to define requirements for Homeward’s data infrastructure
- Collaborate with engineering teams to ensure a uniform and consistent taxonomy and data collection practices that yield high quality analytics and insights for now and the future
- Design and build infrastructure to ingest, store, and report on members’ health data, such as claims data, ADT (admission, discharge and transfer) data, lab results, medications, clinical data and more
- Design and implement workflows for ingestion and transformation for various data sources
- Work with a modern data engineering stack - some pieces of ours include Airbyte, Snowflake, and Metabase.
What you bring:
- 5+ years of hands-on data engineering experience in a healthcare setting
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering or a related technical discipline or equivalent industry experience.
- You have in-depth experience working with data warehouses (preferably Snowflake) and relational databases (preferably Postgres)
- You have real-world experience working with data in FHIR and HL7 standards
- You have a healthy understanding of security and PHI, especially where it interacts with HIPAA regulations. You internalize that security is a first-order priority and evangelize this position to others through implementation and documentation.
- You have experience with structuring and permissioning data in data lakes / marts to make data available on a role-specific basis
- You are comfortable working with a variety of data formats as part of a data ingestion pipeline (we primarily deal with CSV and Parquet files)
- You have implemented infrastructure in a cloud environment, preferably AWS
- You have built well-structured data pipelines with ETL/ELT tools (preferably Airflow and dbt)
What shapes our company:
- Deep commitment to one another, the people and communities we serve, and to care that enables everyone to achieve their best health
- Compassion and empathy
- Curiosity, and an eagerness to listen
- Drive to deliver high-quality experiences, clinical care, and cost-effectiveness
- Strong focus on sustainability of our business and scalability of our services, to maximize our reach and impact
- Nurturing a diverse workforce, with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and points of view
- Taking our mission and business seriously, but not taking ourselves too seriously– having fun as we build!
- Competitive salary, equity grant, unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental & vision insurance with 100% of monthly premium covered for employees
- Company-sponsored 401k plan
- Flexible working arrangement
At Homeward, a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences enrich our teams and allow us to achieve above and beyond our goals. If you have yet to gain experience in the areas detailed above, we hope you will share your unique background with us in your application and how it can be additive to our teams.
Homeward is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Homeward is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.