Director, Design and Member Research
Homeward is a technology-enabled healthcare provider delivering quality, affordable and comprehensive care to those who don’t have it. Starting in rural America. Today, 60 million Americans living in rural communities are facing a crisis of access to care. In the U.S. healthcare system, rural Americans experience significantly poorer clinical outcomes. This trend is rapidly accelerating as rural hospitals close and physician shortages increase, exacerbating health disparities. In fact, Americans living in rural communities suffer a mortality rate 23 percent higher than those in urban communities, in part because of the lack of access to quality care.
Our vision is care that enables everyone to achieve their best health. So, we’re rearchitecting the way it’s delivered – leveraging breakthroughs in diagnostics, remote monitoring, and a variety of other domains, Homeward is creating a new healthcare delivery model that is purpose-built for rural America and directly addresses the issues that have historically limited access and quality.
Most importantly, we’re aligning everyone’s incentives (ours, partner health plans’, and members’) towards getting and keeping people healthy by taking full responsibility and financial risk for the total cost of each member’s healthcare and outcomes.
Homeward is co-founded by a leadership team that defined and delivered Livongo’s products, and backed most recently by a $50 million series B co-led by Arch Ventures and Human Capital, with participation from General Catalyst for a total of $70 million in funding. With this leadership team and funding, Homeward is committed to bringing high-quality healthcare to rural communities in need.
Join us in tackling healthcare for rural America! We’re seeking a Director, Design and Member Research who is passionate about having positive societal impact, and for using technology for good – solving issues of health inequity for communities who have been perennially underserved. As the leader of our design team, you’ll work cross functionally with engineering, product, operations, and clinical teams to define and deliver our core experiences.
What you’ll do:
- Build and manage a team of high-caliber designers while actively developing leadership talent through mentoring, coaching, planning, and retention strategies for key personnel.
- Set the overall vision, principles, and strategy for design and member research. Take responsibility for the creative vision and the standard of output across teams.
- Design longitudinal healthcare services for older adults in rural America. Your team will own the design of our care delivery platform and focus on designing a seamless end-to-end experience that is enabled through technology, but driven by human touch-points.
- Develop and implement a member research program that will help us continue to understand the needs of our members.
- Work closely with your cross functional team members to ideate and test how we can simplify and improve the care experience from the perspective of both members and clinicians while delivering a high quality, competitive clinical care model
- Illustrate and communicate proposed concepts through leading the development of product concepts, blueprints and other service design artifacts, as well as design sprints and other collaborative sessions with partner teams
- Be able to tell the user story – through bringing together the full end to end user experience into a coherent narrative for both internal and external needs
- Partner with the cross functional team to drive product features through their entire creative cycle: prioritization, requirements development, ideation and prototype feedback, feasibility assessments, development, release, analysis, and iteration
- Advocate for human-centric thinking, concrete practices so we continuously better understand our target users and members, and prioritization of their needs
What you bring:
- A portfolio that demonstrates 5+ years of hands-on product and/or service design experience defining and shipping products and services that consumers use. We’re especially interested in demonstrated experience designing products and services that combine human and software touch points to change or support user behavior over time.
- Experience building and managing small and nimble teams
- Experience partnering with cross-functional stakeholders including engineering, product, and operations teams
- Experience planning and executing generative and evaluative user research
- Comfort with and excitement for translating messy, complex experiences into a delightful service
- Experience documenting and communicating product and service experiences through service blueprints, journey mapping, and other artifacts
- Experience using existing brand guidelines to create simple visual designs and mockups
- Experience working on a small fast-paced team and defining a product from scratch
- Experience working in healthcare, home services, rural markets and/or with older adults
What shapes our company:
- Deep commitment to one another, the people and communities we serve, and to care that enables everyone to achieve their best health
- Compassion and empathy
- Curiosity and an eagerness to listen
- Drive to deliver high-quality experiences, clinical care, and cost-effectiveness
- Strong focus on sustainability of our business and scalability of our services, to maximize our reach and impact
- Nurturing a diverse workforce, with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and points of view
- Taking our mission and business seriously, but not taking ourselves too seriously– having fun as we build!
- Competitive salary and equity grant
- Unlimited paid time off
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental & vision insurance with 100% of monthly premium covered for employees
- Company-sponsored 401k plan
- Flexible working arrangement with an office in the Bay Area
Salary: $170,000 - $240,000 annually. Salary is based on qualifications, experience, skillset, and location.
At Homeward, a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences enrich our teams and allow us to achieve above and beyond our goals. If you have yet to gain experience in the areas detailed above, we hope you will share your unique background with us in your application and how it can be additive to our teams.
Homeward is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Homeward is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.