Director, Data Engineering
Homeward is a technology-enabled healthcare provider delivering quality, affordable and comprehensive care to those who don’t have it. Starting in rural America. Today, 60 million Americans living in rural communities are facing a crisis of access to care. In the U.S. healthcare system, rural Americans experience significantly poorer clinical outcomes. This trend is rapidly accelerating as rural hospitals close and physician shortages increase, exacerbating health disparities. In fact, Americans living in rural communities suffer a mortality rate 23 percent higher than those in urban communities, in part because of the lack of access to quality care.
Our vision is care that enables everyone to achieve their best health. So, we’re rearchitecting the way it’s delivered – leveraging breakthroughs in diagnostics, remote monitoring, and a variety of other domains, Homeward is creating a new healthcare delivery model that is purpose-built for rural America and directly addresses the issues that have historically limited access and quality.
Most importantly, we’re aligning everyone’s incentives (ours, partner health plans’, and members’) towards getting and keeping people healthy by taking full responsibility and financial risk for the total cost of each member’s healthcare and outcomes.
Homeward is co-founded by a leadership team that defined and delivered Livongo’s products, and backed most recently by a $50 million series B co-led by Arch Ventures and Human Capital, with participation from General Catalyst for a total of $70 million in funding. With this leadership team and funding, Homeward is committed to bringing high-quality healthcare to rural communities in need.
Join us in our mission to revolutionize healthcare for rural America! We are on the lookout for a Director of Data Engineering who will serve as a pivotal leader in our Engineering team. Data Engineering plays a crucial role in ensuring a seamless care experience for both members and providers. You will be a hands-on player-coach leader, managing individuals who report directly to you. Your responsibilities will include coaching, mentoring, resolving blocking issues, and supporting your team members in their professional development. Your goal will be to unlock their full potential and foster growth. Moreover, your leadership role will extend beyond data engineering, playing a central role in our San Francisco Bay Area office.
What you’ll do:
- Shape the vision, develop the roadmap, and oversee the execution of Data Engineering initiatives.
- Design and maintain the Data Architecture, including critical domains of data engineering such as Data Collection and Storage, Data Warehousing, and ETL Pipelines.
- Identify opportunities to leverage emerging and disruptive capabilities, including machine learning and natural language processing, to address high priority challenges.
- Assume leadership in making ‘build versus buy’ decisions in data engineering, and lead the process of sourcing and selecting appropriate vendors.
- Build and manage a team of high-caliber data engineers while actively developing leadership talent through mentoring, coaching, planning, and retention strategies for key personnel.
- Work collaboratively with data scientists, analysts, and other stakeholders to ensure data accuracy and consistency.
- Formulate and enforce data governance policies and procedures.
What you bring:
- Over a decade of experience in the healthcare industry, serving as a data engineer and leader.
- Profound expertise in integrating medical data with various entities such as provider groups, health systems, regional and state HIEs/HINs, health data aggregators, and payers.
- Significant experience collaborating with data science teams utilizing health and claims data.
- Demonstrated leadership in directing healthcare data acquisition strategies and execution, which includes vendor selection and management.
- Knowledge of healthcare regulations and certifications like HIPAA and HITRUST is essential due to the sensitive nature of healthcare data.
- Experience in collaborating with provider groups or companies that enable Value-Based Care (VBC).
- Experience in constructing the necessary infrastructure for risk stratification utilizing health data.
- Experience in applying Natural Language Processing (NLP) techniques on health-related data.
- Hands-on experience working within the Amazon Web Services (AWS) cloud environment.
What shapes our company:
- Deep commitment to one another, the people and communities we serve, and to care that enables everyone to achieve their best health
- Compassion and empathy
- Curiosity, and an eagerness to listen
- Drive to deliver high-quality experiences, clinical care, and cost-effectiveness
- Strong focus on sustainability of our business and scalability of our services, to maximize our reach and impact
- Nurturing a diverse workforce, with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences, and points of view
- Taking our mission and business seriously, but not taking ourselves too seriously– having fun as we build!
- Competitive salary and equity grant
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental & vision insurance with 100% of monthly premium covered for employees
- Company-sponsored 401k plan
- Flexible working arrangement
Salary: $$170,000 - $240,000 annually. Salary is based on qualifications, experience, skillset, and location.
At Homeward, a diverse set of backgrounds and experiences enrich our teams and allow us to achieve above and beyond our goals. If you have yet to gain experience in the areas detailed above, we hope you will share your unique background with us in your application and how it can be additive to our teams.
Homeward is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or genetic information. Homeward is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities.