Senior Data Scientist, Growth
Grammarly is excited to offer a remote-first hybrid working model. Team members work primarily remotely in the United States, Canada, Ukraine, Germany, or Poland. Certain roles have specific location requirements to facilitate collaboration at a particular Grammarly hub.
All roles have an in-person component: Conditions permitting, teams meet 2–4 weeks every quarter at one of Grammarly’s hubs in San Francisco, Kyiv, New York, Vancouver, and Berlin, or in a workspace in Kraków. This flexible approach gives team members the best of both worlds: plenty of focus time along with in-person collaboration that fosters trust and unlocks creativity.
Grammarly team members in this role must be based in the United States or Canada, and they must be able to collaborate in person 2-3 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub(s) where the team is based.
Every day, tens of millions of people and 50,000 professional teams worldwide trust Grammarly’s AI and human expertise to help ideate, compose, revise, and comprehend communications. Our team members have the autonomy to take on exciting challenges in pursuit of our mission to improve lives by improving communication. Together, we’re building on more than a decade of steady growth and profitability. We’re defining the communication assistance category with our tailored service offerings: Grammarly Free, Grammarly Premium, Grammarly Business, and Grammarly for Education. Our latest product offering, GrammarlyGO, brings the power of generative AI to our users. It all begins with our team collaborating in an inclusive, values-driven, and learning-oriented environment.
We're moving towards big goals, and we’re seeking a talented Data Scientist to join our growth team. The perfect candidate will have a good understanding of product development, as well as proven experience in helping businesses grow. They will also know how to find and use key strategic opportunities, be a supportive team leader, be able to explain complex data in a simple way, and work collaboratively to build ML solutions and drive growth.
Data Scientists at Grammarly are trusted subject matter experts who uncover new insights to inform product and growth strategies. Our Data Scientists work with teams that build our core product features, demonstrate the value of our product to users, and empower people to use Grammarly everywhere they write. We have large datasets and are looking for folks with strong technical and analytical skills to break down complex business problems and provide solutions with high visibility and impact.
Grammarly’s Data Scientists have the freedom to innovate and uncover breakthroughs—and, in turn, influence our product and growth roadmap. The complexity of the technical questions we face is growing rapidly as we scale our interfaces, algorithms, and infrastructure. Read more about our stack or hear from our team on our technical blog.
As a Senior Data Scientist, you will:
- Define innovative metrics and their relationships to measure the success of B2C products and develop actionable insights to inform key decisions.
- Collaborate cross-functionally to design and implement controlled experiments and quasi-experimental methods to measure the effects of changes in user experience and product features.
- Develop machine learning models to optimize user experience, discover potential growth opportunities, measure the LTV of users, and forecast key performance metrics for user engagement.
- Partner closely with business stakeholders from product, human insights, and marketing teams, as well as other analytics teams, on analyses that help understand key drivers of user growth and retention.
- Identify strategic areas with the highest potential impact, lead cross-functional data initiatives that help drive critical business decisions and inform long-term user growth strategy.
- Work closely with stakeholders to understand the use cases and identify focus areas with the highest potential for impact.
- Define and analyze metrics that will, in turn, inform the key drivers for decision-making & operational efficiencies.
- Analyze large amounts of messy data, work on data quality, uncover actionable insights, and present them in a compelling manner.
- Provide technical and thought leadership designing and implementing machine learning techniques.
We’re looking for someone who
- Embodies our EAGER values—is ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable.
- Is able to collaborate in person 2–3 weeks per quarter, traveling if necessary to the hub where the team is based.
- Holds a Master’s degree in a quantitative field.
- Has 5+ years of relevant work experience.
- Has experience as an influential and effective thought partner to product teams.
- Demonstrates strong communication, proactiveness, creativity, and prioritization skills.
- Has strong analytical and critical thinking skills and a strong bias toward actionable insights.
- High levels of curiosity and eager enthusiasm for open-ended problems.
- Has practical experience in data analysis, statistics, and experimentation.
- Has deep understanding of the basic classes of ML algorithms and their underlying assumptions.
- Is proficient in SQL, Python, R, Scala, or an equivalent language.
- Has the ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Support for you, professionally and personally
- Professional growth: We believe that autonomy and trust are key to empowering our team members to do their best, most innovative work in a way that aligns with their interests, talents, and well-being. We support professional development and advancement with training, coaching, and regular feedback.
- A connected team: Grammarly builds a product that helps people connect, and we apply this mindset to our own team. Our remote-first hybrid model enables a highly collaborative culture supported by our EAGER (ethical, adaptable, gritty, empathetic, and remarkable) values. We work to foster belonging among team members in a variety of ways. This includes our employee resource groups, Grammarly Circles, which promote connection among those with shared identities, such as BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ team members, women, and parents. We also celebrate our colleagues and accomplishments with global, local, and team-specific programs.
Compensation and benefits
Grammarly offers all team members competitive pay along with a benefits package encompassing the following and more:
- Excellent health care (including a wide range of medical, dental, vision, mental health, and fertility benefits)
- Disability and life insurance options
- 401(k) and RRSP matching
- Paid parental leave
- Twenty days of paid time off per year, eleven days of paid holidays per year, and unlimited sick days
- Home office stipends
- Caregiver and pet care stipends
- Wellness stipends
- Admission discounts
- Learning and development opportunities
Grammarly takes a market-based approach to compensation, which means base pay may vary depending on your location. Our US and Canada locations are categorized into compensation zones based on each geographic region’s cost of labor index. For more information about our compensation zones and locations where we currently support employment, please refer to this page. If a location of interest is not listed, please speak with a recruiter for additional information.
Base pay may vary considerably depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. The expected salary ranges for this position are outlined below by compensation zone and may be modified in the future.
We encourage you to apply
At Grammarly, we value our differences, and we encourage all—especially those whose identities are traditionally underrepresented in tech organizations—to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, political belief, or any other characteristic protected by law. Grammarly is an equal opportunity employer and a participant in the US federal E-Verify program (US). We also abide by the Employment Equity Act (Canada).
Please note that EEOC is optional and specific to US-based candidates.
All team members meeting in person for official Grammarly business or working from a hub location are strongly encouraged to be vaccinated against COVID-19.