Backend Engineer, Verify: Runner (Go)
The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
An overview of this role
As a Backend Engineer in our Verify: Runner group, you'll play a key role on a team whose mission it is to create a build agent that works seamlessly on tomorrow's market-leading computing platforms and the tools to eliminate CI build fleet operational complexity at an enterprise scale. The features in our Verify: Runner group allow our customers to run their GitLab CI operations on a variety of platforms and ecosystems.
Our Verify: Runner group is primarily responsible for the GitLab-Runner. The GitLab-Runner is the interface between the rest of GitLab and a user's CI infrastructure. Whether CI is running on a cluster of Raspberry Pi’s, a super-computer, or, as in the case with GitLab.com, thousands of virtual machines running in the cloud - it’s the GitLab-Runner that makes this happen. Each week GitLab-Runners process millions of jobs for GitLab.com, and our docker images are downloaded 100s-of-millions of times.
What you’ll do
- Contribute to the overall direction of GitLab-Runner development.
- Focus your efforts on GitLab-Runner scalability
- Help scale the infrastructure of the GitLab-Runners powering GitLab.com.
- Solve technical problems of medium scope and complexity.
- Help to define and improve our internal standards for style, maintainability, and best practices for a high-scale web environment. Maintain and advocate for these standards through code review.
- Represent GitLab and its values in public communication around broader initiatives, specific projects, and community contributions.
- Confidently ship moderately sized features and improvements with minimal guidance and support from other team members.
- Collaborate with the team on larger projects.
- Advocate for improvements to product quality, security, and performance.
You should apply if you bring
- Professional experience with Go in a large scale environment.
- Experience in scaling SaaS products.
- Proficiency in the English language, both written and verbal, sufficient for success in a remote and largely asynchronous work environment.
- Demonstrated capacity to clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions.
- Experience with performance and optimization problems and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Comfort working in a highly agile, intensely iterative software development process.
- Demonstrated ability to onboard and integrate with an organization long-term.
- Positive and solution-oriented mindset.
- Effective communication skills: Regularly achieve consensus with peers and clear status updates.
- An inclination towards communication, inclusion, and visibility.
- Self-motivated and self-managing, with strong organizational skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work closely with other parts of the organization
- Share our values, and work in accordance with those values
You’ll stand out if you bring
- Demonstrated experience with any major cloud providers or infrastructure-as-code tools.
- Demonstrated experience working with Docker and Kubernetes.
- Demonstrated experience with site reliability
About the team
How GitLab will support you
- Benefits to support your health, finances, and well-being
- All remote, asynchronous work environment
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Team Member Resource Groups
- Equity Compensation & Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Growth and development budget
- Parental leave
- Home office support
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you're excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. The compensation calculator can be found towards the bottom of the page.
Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.