Staff, Security Assurance Automation Engineer
The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
An overview of this role
As a Staff, Security Assurance Automation Engineer, and a member of GitLab's Security Assurance Department, it will be your goal to drive the success of the Security Assurance Department through the development, implementation, and maintenance of automated processes and controls.
You will focus on creating custom automation products and improving existing processes through automated measures. You will develop a tight partnership with the Security Assurance Department, strive to operate comfortably within our transparent assurance programs, and develop a strong understanding of how security works with cloud-native technology stacks.
What you’ll do
- Design, engineer, deploy, and maintain custom automation products
- Build security tooling and automation for internal use that enable the Security Assurance Department to operate at high speed and wide scale
- Automate and monitor key performance indicators and metrics for the Security Assurance Department
- Onboard, configure and maintain third party applications and integrations to those applications
- Participate in end-to-end activities related to implementation planning including assessments, integrations, enhancements, and maintenance with various systems
- Collaborate with Security Assurance stakeholders on their automation roadmap, understand their operational processes and develop technical solutions to scale critical business operations
- Collaborate with stakeholders to develop and report upon a visible project plan
- Define and own metrics and key performance indicators to determine the effectiveness of the Security Assurance Automation program
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering in influencing product roadmaps related to security and compliance
- Identify and deploy dogfooding opportunities associated with the deployment and use of the GitLab product
- Clearly document the result of automation activities for training and scalable use
- Produce high-quality automation code
What you’ll bring
- Extensive scripting/coding experience with one or more languages - Python required (Ruby, and/or Golang experience is a plus)
- Strong understanding of the Software as a Service (SaaS) model
- Extensive experience with Cloud Computing Platforms - especially GCP, AWS, and related services
- Previous experience on or supporting Security Governance, Risk, Compliance or Field Security teams is a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrable teamwork skills and resourcefulness
- Strong familiarity with cloud security controls and best practices
About the team
The Security Assurance Automation team is a sub-team of the Governance and Field Security team and sits within the Security Assurance Department. The team serves as a dedicated resource that enables the success of the Security Assurance Department through the development, implementation, and maintenance of automated processes and controls. Thanks to our Transparency value, you can see how we operate in our team page.
How GitLab will support you
- Benefits to support your health, finances, and well-being
- All remote, asynchronous work environment
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Team Member Resource Groups
- Equity Compensation & Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Growth and development budget
- Parental leave
- Home office support
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.