Sr. Backend Engineer, Enablement: Geo
The GitLab DevSecOps platform empowers 100,000+ organizations to deliver software faster and more efficiently. We are one of the world’s largest all-remote companies with 2,000+ team members and values that foster a culture where people embrace the belief that everyone can contribute. Learn more about Life at GitLab.
An overview of this role
As a Senior Backend Engineer on our Geo team within the Enablement subdepartment, you will work developing scalable and performant product features for three distinct product categories; Gitlab Replication, Disaster Recovery, and Backup & Restore. Furthermore, you will actively learn from the customer experience and support them with issues that they bring to our attention. These could take the form of bug reports or feature requests. Geo users are often Gitlab’s largest customers and many rely on Geo as a critical part of their workflow.
Some examples of our projects:
What you’ll do
- Develop features and improvements to the GitLab Geo product in a secure, well-tested, and performant way
- Work with the Product Manager to carefully assess the technical feasibility of feature requests
- Deliver proof-of-concept proposals to help guide technical discussions
- Identify ways to deliver complex technical projects in an iterative fashion
- Take ownership of feature implementation
- Provide technical advice to the Customer Support team to resolve requests from customers
What you’ll bring
- Significant professional experience with Ruby on Rails and Git
- Experience designing and building fault-tolerant, distributed systems
- Experience building and scaling highly-available systems
- Experience with queueing and messaging systems
- Experience with provisioning tools
- Considered a plus is to have experience working with tools for backup and restore of: databases, app configuration, and infrastructure as code for large distributed applications.
About the team
GitLab Geo is an enterprise product feature, built to distribute GitLab self-hosted deployments to different geographic locations. This is achieved by replicating the entire GitLab dataset to new locations in a coordinated, consistent, and scalable manner. Data can be accessed from any of the locations whilst intelligent proxying techniques guarantee users have access to the most recent data.
Geo’s architecture addresses a number of customer problems that includes acceleration of proximity based data access and disaster recovery.
How GitLab will support you
- Benefits to support your health, finances, and well-being
- All remote, asynchronous work environment
- Flexible Paid Time Off
- Team Member Resource Groups
- Equity Compensation & Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Growth and development budget
- Parental leave
- Home office support
Please note that we welcome interest from candidates with varying levels of experience; many successful candidates do not meet every single requirement. Additionally, studies have shown that people from underrepresented groups are less likely to apply to a job unless they meet every single qualification. If you're excited about this role, please apply and allow our recruiters to assess your application.
Country Hiring Guidelines: GitLab hires new team members in countries around the world. All of our roles are remote, however some roles may carry specific location-based eligibility requirements. Our Talent Acquisition team can help answer any questions about location after starting the recruiting process.
GitLab is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. GitLab’s policies and practices relating to recruitment, employment, career development and advancement, promotion, and retirement are based solely on merit, regardless of race, color, religion, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy, lactation, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression), national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, mental or physical disability, genetic information (including family medical history), discharge status from the military, protected veteran status (which includes disabled veterans, recently separated veterans, active duty wartime or campaign badge veterans, and Armed Forces service medal veterans), or any other basis protected by law. GitLab will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. See also GitLab’s EEO Policy and EEO is the Law. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know during the recruiting process.