Manager, Platform Engineering
From Fivetran’s founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We’re proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
About the Role
Fivetran is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead one of our core application platform teams within the Platform Engineering Group. In the next few years, you will own and drive the vision, and implementation to drive our 10x growth from 2,500+ customers to 25,000+ customers.
If you love the idea of owning the critical and core services that drive the fundamental functioning and building blocks of data processing involved in our data pipelines, this opportunity fits you well. As an Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of engineers to implement and maintain the central parts of our data pipelines needed to operate the best-in-class reliable, secure, and scalable data movement. You will coordinate with other stakeholders at the company, including other engineering teams, product management, support engineers, and sales engineers. You will take full responsibility for the quality, efficiency, and reliability of your focus areas; and you will build and maintain a team that reliably delivers excellent results while maintaining a culture of engagement, fairness, and continuous improvement. Lastly, being an engineer at heart, you are also passionate about building strong relationships across the engineering team to communicate, drive and implement Fivetran’s product needs.
This is a full-time position based out of our Bangalore
About Fivetran’s Data Movement
Fivetran’s platform spans our core data pipeline processing framework, our cloud architecture and infrastructure, internal development systems, security framework, standard components, quality engineering framework, and our developer systems and experience. Combining those pillars into a massively scaling platform, we are able to manage data streaming and batch workloads for the three main public clouds, AWS, Azure, and GCP.
Technologies You’ll Use
Java, Cloud Technologies - GCP, AWS. Algorithms - encryption, deserialization, compression
What You’ll Do
As Fivetran’s Engineering Manager, Data Application Platform, you will be responsible and accountable for:
- Team Vision & Ownership: Leading the engineering team to craft, design, and orchestrate the critical parts of the data processing pipeline at all times.
- Prioritization, Planning, & Execution: The data application platform includes common interfaces and libraries required to run our high-performance, error-free data pipelines. The key role of a manager is to prioritize and plan features and maintenance of the core of the system necessary to support the business needs.
- Technology Practices: Leveraging best practices and policies from Fivetran’s architecture and infrastructure, ensuring functional and performance regression in the area of responsibility are always minimal.
- Code Quality and Debt: Maintaining, monitoring, and improving our code base intentionally and consistently.
- Collaboration and Decision Making: Articulate ideas, plans, and roadmaps with both technical and non-technical team members to stay aligned with product and engineering goals. You will be responsible for making decisions quickly and getting stakeholder agreements in a timely manner.
- Top-Notch Team: Coach and grow a talented cohesive team, fostering a safe environment and promoting continuous improvement.
Skills We’re Looking For
- Experience in building and managing an engineering team of 6 or more members comprising individual contributors with varying experience levels.
- Experience in identifying product gaps and influencing product teams to drive projects to fix gaps in the least disruptive manner.
- Believer in a data-driven approach in strategizing, prioritizing, and driving implementation changes, coordinating with Product Management, Engineering, and Customer Support
- Proven people management and career development skills.
- Adept at auditing and improving coding practices across the team, ensuring integrity and transparency
- Ability to collaborate and articulate effectively with technical founders and non-engineering stakeholders.
- A high degree of confidence and level of comfort in discussing architecture and technologies with product development architects
- At least 5+ years of experience working in engineering manager roles.
Optional Bonus Skills
- Experience in building and maintaining platform features that need careful thought and deep expertise
- Experience with performance improvements, JVM tuning, and/or other scalable design/implementation projects.
- Experience in building data pipelines or data processing platforms
Perks and Benefits
- 100% employer-paid medical insurance*
- Generous paid time-off policy (PTO), plus paid sick time, inclusive parental leave policy, holidays, and volunteer days off
- RSU stock grants
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours, free food, and fun team building activities
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Recharge, reenergize, and pursue personal and professional goals with a 30 day paid leave after 5 years
*may vary by country - please reach out to your recruiter for more information
To learn more about Fivetran's benefits by region - click here.
We’re honored to be valued at over $5.6 billion, but more importantly, we’re proud of our core values of Get Stuck In, Do the Right Thing, and One Team, One Dream. Read about us in Forbes.
Fivetran brings together high-quality talent across the globe to make data access as easy and reliable as electricity for our customers. We value and recognize that our customers benefit from having innovative teams made of people from many backgrounds, experiences and identities. Fivetran promotes diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging through attracting, recruiting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce, not only because it is the right thing to do, but because it helps us build a world-class company to better serve our customers, our people and our communities.
To learn more about Fivetran’s culture and what it’s like to be part of the team, click here and enjoy our video.