Staff Software Engineer - Databases
From Fivetran’s founding until now, our mission has remained the same: to make access to data as simple and reliable as electricity. With Fivetran, customer data arrives in their warehouses, canonical and ready to query, with no engineering or maintenance required. We’re proud that more organizations continue to leverage our technology every day to become truly data-driven.
About the Role
Fivetran is building data pipelines to power the modern data stack for thousands of companies.
We’re looking for a a Staff Software Engineer enthusiastic to join our fast-growing company. As a part of the Database Connector Team, you will be responsible to help build new features of our data pipeline service, help improve our software architecture, and maintain reliable operation of the service. We're looking for someone who wants to learn and apply the key values that make our product great, dive deep into complex investigations into data replication and build a world class ELT solution.
This is a full-time position based out of Toronto, Canada.
Technologies You’ll Use
Java, SQL, C, Kubernetes, Docker, AWS, GCP, Bazel, New Relic, Buildkite.
What You’ll Do
- Learn deeply about Fivetran in order to focus development on practical and relevant system improvements.
- Dive deep into data replication debugging, analyzing existing code that is in use by hundreds of customers today.
- Contribute to the efforts to the maintenance and improvement of existing connectors; call for improvement in all areas of Fivetran's codebase and infrastructure.
- Work across the project lifecycle: requirements, design, prototype, implementation, review, release, monitoring.
- Develop software designs and technical roadmap for the team.
- Mentor other members of the team.
- Contribute to hiring by participating in the interview process.
- Care and feel ownership of our product platform, and leverage your skills towards improving it.
Skills We’re Looking For
- Execution-oriented with strong technical and problem-solving skills that enables to design and develop software that is effective, intuitive, easy-to-operate, and elegantly simple.
- Experience in architecting reliable distributed systems, with an emphasis on high-volume data management within enterprise and/or web-scale products and platforms that operate under strict SLAs.
- Experience with use of a wide array of algorithms and data structures.
- Strong knowledge and expertise in working with Java, AWS, Cloud-based APIs, databases, data warehouses, software design and programming best practices.
- Skilled at communicating technical topics and risks to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Entrepreneurial mindset, excellent communication, and technical leadership skills.
- Create and contribute to an environment that is geared to innovation, high productivity, high quality and customer service.
- Strong knowledge and expertise in writing SQL queries and understanding of query execution plans.
- Knowledge of DBMS internals.
- Familiarity with system level programming (such as process and memory management and inter-process communication).
- Experience with data replication, ETL/ELT tools.
- Experience in designing and developing file, event, application, or database connectors.
- Experienced working in a cloud environment utilizing AWS, GCP, Kubernetes, Docker, BuildKite, or similar technologies.
Perks and Benefits
- 100% employer-paid medical insurance*
- Generous paid time-off policy (PTO), plus paid sick time, inclusive parental leave policy, holidays, and volunteer days off
- RSU stock grants
- Professional development and training opportunities
- Company virtual happy hours, free food, and fun team building activities
- Monthly cell phone stipend
- Recharge, reenergize, and pursue personal and professional goals with a 30 day paid leave after 5 years
*may vary by country - please reach out to your recruiter for more information
To learn more about Fivetran's benefits by region - click here.
We’re honored to be valued at over $5.6 billion, but more importantly, we’re proud of our core values of Get Stuck In, Do the Right Thing, and One Team, One Dream. Read about us in Forbes.
Fivetran brings together high-quality talent across the globe to make data access as easy and reliable as electricity for our customers. We value and recognize that our customers benefit from having innovative teams made of people from many backgrounds, experiences and identities. Fivetran promotes diversity, equity, inclusion & belonging through attracting, recruiting, developing and retaining a diverse workforce, not only because it is the right thing to do, but because it helps us build a world-class company to better serve our customers, our people and our communities.
To learn more about Fivetran’s culture and what it’s like to be part of the team, click here and enjoy our video.