Principal Electrical Engineer
The Elevator Pitch
Do you love product development and have experience taking ideas from concept to manufacturing? Do you want to play a pivotal role in designing, developing, and optimizing complex electrical systems and solutions to drive innovation and deliver exceptional products to our customers? Are you detail-oriented and hands-on? Do you like being challenged? Are you a good communicator and mentor, and can coach junior engineers? This role will serve as the subject matter expert in electrical engineering (RF, mixed-signal, digital, and low-noise PCB design), guiding the team in making critical design decisions and solving complex technical challenges. If all of these things sound exciting to you, apply today!
Success in the Role: What are the performance outcomes over the first 6-12 months you will work toward completing?
In the first 30 days, you will:
- Participate in EvolvED, our new hire orientation program
- Become an integral team member and get up to speed on who's who in Engineering, Manufacturing, Tech Support, and Field Service.
- Participate in Evolv’s 3-day technical training course
- Participate in the manufacturing of products at Evolv's contract manufactuer.
- Attend a system installation at a customer site
- Learn the company’s workflows and processes to integrate smoothly with the team
- Peer review the hardware under development and our hardware development roadmap
Within 3 months, you will:
- Build trust and establish yourself as a strong technical lead and resource
- Take ownership of design activities within key advanced development projects, showcasing your ability to contribute independently by owning tough problems
- Working with QA, identifying and improving current designs based on production yield results, field data analysis, implementing improvements, and working with Manufacturing cut-in that improvement at the factory.
- Strengthen collaboration with team members and other departments to foster a cohesive work environment.
- Participate in the hardware development life cycle and provide detailed expert feedback during schematic and PCB design reviews to derisk new designs and improve existing ones.
By the end of the first year, you will:
- Become a subject matter expert and go-to person in Electrical Engineering, handling complex design and resolving challenging technical problems.
- Help Evolv make significant technical progress toward the short-term and long-term goals
- Improve efficiency through automation and design processes wherever possible.
- Collaborate with Evolv’s manufacturing and quality team to create metrics to track the rate and type of issues escalated into Engineering, establish baselines and objectives for measured improvement
- Identify process gaps, proposing and helping to implement improvements
The Work: What type of work will you be doing? What assignments, requirements, or skills will you be performing on a regular basis?
- Work across engineering functions to architect, design, and help direct the execution of assigned projects.
- Work cross-functionally (product, manufacturing, regulatory, service, and quality) to develop system architecture, specifications, verification testing, and troubleshooting
- Work within engineering to translate product requirements (PRDs) into design specifications for assigned projects.
- Hands-on design of electronics that successfully integrate with electromechanical and software subsystems
- Contribute to detailed electrical and firmware design, including analog, digital, power supply, power electronics, timing and PLLs, and low-noise PCB design.
- Create and maintain test protocols for design verification and validation activities as required.
- Oversee the execution of testing to prescribed protocols, documenting results and creating final reports for assigned projects.
- Create and maintain a traceability matrix between requirements, design, specifications, and testing for assigned projects.
- Work with the Product Management team to define and execute system integration activities and usability studies within projects.
- Prepare, present, and participate in comprehensive technical and/or design reviews.
What is the leadership like for this role? What is the structure and culture of the team?
- You will join the R&D team, be a key member of the EE team, and report to the Sr. Director of Electrical Engineer
- The R&D organization comprises more than 60 dedicated developers and managers with deep expertise who are always willing to help.
- The team culture is based on trust, collaboration, and ongoing development through kindness, authenticity, courage, drive, and fun!
What is the salary range?
The base salary range for this full-time position is $140,000-$185,000 +bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in role posting reflect the base salary only, and do not include commission, equity, or benefits.