Senior Product Designer, Core Product
Our mission on Core Product is to make Discord the best place to hang out online with friends. Whether you're part of a gaming community, school club, worldwide art group, or just a handful of friends that want to spend time together, millions of people use Discord every day to find belonging, create connections, and talk.
Our work on Core Product focuses on the foundations of the Discord experience - ranging from how users showcase and customize their identity to the way they express themselves over text, voice, and video. We are dedicated to enhancing the experience for friend groups and servers - whether chatting with a small group, engaging with a rich server community, or streaming and playing games.
As a product designer, you'll be involved with the full end-to-end product development process, from brainstorming to launch. You'll use a balance of strategic thinking, product principles, systems design, and strong visual design skills to iterate and innovate on the Discord product. If you're interested in joining a passionate team of designers that are designing features that will be used by millions of people across the world, come join us.
What you'll be doing
- You will report to our growing Product Design team within the Engineering, Product, Analytics and Design (EPAD) organization
- You will embed within a product squad and partner with engineers, product managers, researchers, and data scientists to oversee the user experience of a product from concept to launch — and then continue to improve it after release
- You will understand company and team goals, and drive concepts and decisions in service of reaching those goals and milestones
- You will present your designs to the team and the greater organization to build consensus and drive alignment around your work
- You will create wire-frames, beautiful mockups, amazing prototypes, and help implement your designs to pixel perfection
- You will test, learn, and iterate on everything you do alongside partners
- You will help maintain and commit to our Design pattern library
- You will be an active, participatory member of the Discord Design team, and help foster a culture of design
What you should have
- Minimum of 4 years experience designing and shipping a web/app product for a variety of devices and platforms.
- You have been the design lead for a squad, feature, initiative, or end-to-end project and are comfortable making design decisions, leading discussion, and communicating out to the wider organization
- You are an active design collaborator - giving feedback in critique, sharing knowledge, and supporting and empowering your design teammates
- You have strong product thinking and vision. You're more concerned with the "why" than the "how"
- You’re excited to dig into experiment data to help inform design iterations and whether something should ship
- You have a high level of design craft, and are committed to maintaining a high bar for design implementation
- You have experience with Figma
- Experience or willingness to mentor other designers
- Experience building design systems
- Rich prototyping experience
- Casual or committed gamer
- Interface animation know-how
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!