Senior Director of Policy Communications
Discord is the best place to talk, hang out and have fun with friends. By bringing together text chat, video calls, group messages and casual games in a seamless online home, our users build real relationships with real people. On our platform, friends share their daily lives, study together, enjoy clubs together, learn languages together, build software together, and, of course, play games together. More than 150 million people from all walks of life use Discord every month to spend quality time with friends.
Serving as a senior member of the global communications leadership team, this role will be responsible for overseeing all communications efforts related to government relations, regulatory matters and public affairs worldwide; our global platform, product and public policies including community guidelines, content moderation and collaboration with law enforcement; and a wide range of safety-related initiatives, partners and programs from teen safety to mental health. To be successful in this role, you have a deep understanding of the global political, legislative and regulatory landscape (from the US to the EU and beyond); have experience with government advocacy and coalitions/partnerships with peer companies and civil society organizations; have managed high-profile incidents and crisis management; and possess strong, trusted relationships with government-beat and policy-related reporters in Washington DC, Silicon Valley and across the US.
You will work with stakeholders across engineering, product design, public policy, policy, trust and safety, and legal, as well as Discord’s senior executive leadership team. This role reports directly to our VP of global communications and will work closely with our head of international communications as we expand our business around the world.
What you'll be doing
- Lead policy communications strategy and planning globally
- Shape our policy narratives and execute proactive communications campaigns on complex, sensitive issues related to the intersection of technology, content, society, online safety, privacy and regulation
- Provide strategic counsel to senior leadership and cross-functional partners on company level plans and initiatives.
- Lead proactive policy communications plans to demonstrate Discord’s leadership in the space, educate about our platform and policies, and build trust with new and important audiences.
- Partner with our policy and safety teams on key initiatives such as teen safety and mental health
- Lead on crisis communications, be a trusted partner for cross-functional teams involved in crisis management, and build up the organizational resilience for high-profile incidents
- Build and manage a policy communications team and/or network of agency partnerships around the world
- Own key policy-related media relationships, provide guidance to reporters, and manage press queries/reactive communications about Discord’s platform/product/public policies
What you should have
- A passion for Discord and our mission
- 15+ years experience (combination of in-house, agency, government or NGO) building and scaling policy communications initiatives in the US, EU and around the world
- 7+ years experience managing teams and agency partners in multiple markets
- Knowledge and familiarity with US, EU, and other regional policy frameworks, from elections to regulation, with a global perspective
- Strong background in consumer technology and/or emerging categories, with established policy media relationships
- Deep understanding of the regulatory, security, and privacy landscape
- Ability to operate with empathy, agility, and flexibility in a hybrid, collaborative and fast-paced environment with team members, colleagues, and cross-functional partners in various time zones
- Effective prioritization when it comes to project management, navigating time-sensitive projects while maintaining quality on other important workstreams
- Fluent in two or more languages
- An understanding of and/or experience using Discord
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $250,000 to $275,000 + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!