Software Engineer Intern, Data Products
The Summer Internship
At Discord, we offer a personalized experience for interns, and our aim is to offer an experience that mimics what it is like to actually work here. We match qualified interns with projects and groups, based on interests and skill sets and fully embed interns within those groups for the summer.
Internships are paid and run for (at minimum) 12 weeks, targeting a start date in June 2024 to accommodate varying school calendars.
Part of the central Data Platform organization, the Data Products team seeks to make the petabytes of data at Discord easily accessible to everyone at the company. We build full-stack applications, tooling, and frameworks to improve the productivity of teams at Discord with data needs, in particular our product, analytics, and machine learning teams. Our work is foundational to company and product strategy — to learn more about Discord Engineering, read our engineering blog here.
What you'll be doing:
- Build applications, tooling, and frameworks to improve the productivity of Discord's product, analytics, and machine learning teams, using modern technologies such as BigQuery, Dagster, Kubernetes, and more.
- You will work side-by side with other engineers, gaining experience in collaboration, planning, and engineering best practices.
- Empower internal users to employ our amazing Data Products with training and documentation.
You'll Succeed In This Role If...
- Currently enrolled in a Master's or PHD course of study
- You have a passion for building software and understanding complex systems.
- You want to learn to work on a platform team and grow your skills around building tools for other engineers and data practitioners.
- You want exposure to petabyte scale data systems.
Salary of $73/hour (Master's) and $83/hour (PhD)*Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law and CO Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
- Benefits listed below may differ from those available depending on terms of employment*
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!