Core Tech - Native Framework & Tools Intern
The Summer Internship
At Discord, we offer a personalized experience for interns, and our aim is to offer an experience that mimics what it is like to actually work here. We match qualified interns with projects and groups, based on interests and skill sets and fully embed interns within those groups for the summer.
Internships are paid and are a minimum of 12 weeks, targeting a start date in June to accommodate varying school calendars.
The Native Platform & Tools team's mission is 1) to promote and enhance native developers' productivity and 2) to ensure a high-quality bar on all platforms, especially desktops.
This is a very dynamic team with lots of learning opportunities. The team consists of several senior engineers with strong technical backgrounds who are happy to share their knowledge and to mentor.
Our work ranges from platform systems, automation, client infrastructure, to cloud services, UI applications, operations analytics. We have built some awesome projects like state-of-the-art application updater, framework upgrade automation, desktop overlay foundation, desktop memory optimization and lots of neat tools that speed up the development cycle.
If you've got curiosity, and a passion for building top-grade systems and impactful tools, read on...
What You'll Be Doing
- You will be paired with a senior software engineer with frequent check in, and a check in with the engineering manager at least once a week.
- You will attend regular planning / sprint meetings and standups just like any other full time employee.
- You will be solving some interesting problems including but not limited to the following:
- Extensive test automation for all Discord clients, including monkey tests, time-to-interact tests and network impairment tests.
- Windows / Mac OS application installer / updater with auto repair.
- Investigation and improvements into desktop client performance.
You'll Succeed In This Role If...
- You want to learn about toolchains, software build process, CI/CD framework, building test systems and automation.
- You are passionate about improving developers' productivity, and care about product quality.
- You like coming up with pragmatic solutions to concrete problems using first principles thinking.
- You enjoy documenting your work, and sharing what you learned.
Salary of $63/hour*
- Note: Disclosure as required by NYC Pay Transparency Law and CO Disclosure as required by sb19-085(8-5-20)
- Benefits listed below may differ from those available depending on terms of employment*
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 14+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!