Senior Software Engineer - Games
Gamers of all kinds have been at the heart of Discord since we got started. Our small, nimble, Gaming team is focused on building the next version of Discord for the needs of gamers before, during, and after gaming. We are engineers who enjoy playing games and want to improve Discord for other gamers. We’ve recently shipped integrations with our console partners and are actively working on many other features for gamers on Discord.
We are trying to achieve a lot, but we are in a marathon, not a sprint, so good work/life balance is just as important as working with smart, experienced people (like you!?). Our business is growing very quickly, and we are growing quickly to support it. Join our team, and you can help us build the next generation of Discord!
To learn more about Discord Engineering, take a look at our engineering blog.
What you'll do
- Build new features across our iOS, Android, Web apps. We work across the stack, but it's ok if you don't know all of our technology on day one!
- Architecture elegant and maintainable code with focus on autonomy and support from the team.
- Propose and champion improvements to the product, engineering, and process.
- Work on meaningful projects that help Discord become the unified social layer of cross-platform gaming.
- Work with designers, product managers and other engineers to create delightful interfaces and experiences.
- Fearlessly dive into the unknown alongside intelligent engineers challenging themselves and people around you.
- You will report to an Engineering Manager of Gaming
Things we look for
- 4+ years of full-stack experience. We're a multi-platform team, so it's important to have a solid understanding of the development frameworks and fundamentals of one or more of our platforms: web (React, TypeScript), Android (React Native, Kotlin), iOS (React Native, Objective-C, Swift), and backend (Python and some Elixir).
- Experience building and shipping product features. Especially products at large scale or in real-time applications and on projects that have a lot of ambiguity.
- A focus on impact. You have an eye for what changes can bring a product from good to great. You collaborate closely with product managers, designers, analysts, and other engineers to define great solutions to business problems
- You're likely a gamer. All kinds of people use Discord, but this team is focused on gamers.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is ($190,000) to (204,000) + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role and level. Within the range, individual pay is determined by additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include equity, or benefits.
Benefits and Perks
- Comprehensive medical insurance including Health, Dental and Vision (plus up to $20,000 for gender affirmation procedures)
- Mental health resources and quarterly wellness stipends
- 16+ paid holidays, 4 weeks of PTO + use-what-you-need sick days
- Paid parental leave (plus fertility, adoption and other family planning benefits)
- Flexible long-term work options (remote and hybrid)
- Volunteer time off
- A diverse slate of Employee Resource Groups
- Plus commuter contributions and other perks for office-based employees
Discord is a voice, video and text app that helps friends and communities come together to hang out and explore their interests — from artists and activists, to study groups, sneakerheads, plant parents, and more. With 150 million monthly users across 19 million active communities, called servers, Discord has grown to become one of the most popular communications services in the world. Discord was built without selling ads or user data and instead, offers a premium subscription called Nitro that gives users special perks like higher quality streams and fun customizations.
We’re working toward an inclusive world where no one feels like an outsider, where genuine human connection is a click, text chat, or voice call away. A place where everyone can find belonging. Challenging? Heck yes. Rewarding? Double heck yes. It’s a mission that gives us the chance to positively impact millions of people all over the world. So if this strikes a chord with you, come build belonging with us!