Staff Product Designer
Our mission is to transform the way you shop and eat, bringing the neighbourhood to your door by connecting consumers, restaurants, shops and riders. We are transforming the way the world eats and shops by making access to food and products more convenient and enjoyable. We give people the opportunity to buy what they want, as they want it, when and where they want it.
We are a technology-driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world. We are still a small team, making a very large impact, and looking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, value autonomy and ownership, and we are always looking for new ideas
The Content, Research, Localisation and Design team defines how our customers, riders, restaurants and employees interact with Deliveroo’s products. Based in London, our team has a global impact, with our work reaching customers in Singapore, riders in Amsterdam and restaurant kitchens in Paris.
As a Product Designer at Deliveroo, you will be accountable for every feature you design - from the very first sketch through to implementation, you’ll drive all stages of the design process.
- Define standards & Work closely with design teams in defining, designing and evolving high-level design patterns, UI kits, guidelines, and custom tooling. Balance product needs and technical feasibility to build a scalable, usable system.
- Communicate & Ensure that everyone is equipped to adopt design systems as they grow and evolve. Proactively communicating changes and updates, gathering feedback to adjust the system, and unblocking designers as they run into issues.
- Drive excellence & Champion consistency, a high degree of UI craft, and the inclusion of illustration and animation in our products. Scheduling and facilitating regular meetings for planning and critique of design work.
- Assist with technical implementation: Work closely with UI engineers who build and maintain design systems in code.
- Work closely with your team and other designers in defining, designing and iterating on product features across web and mobile platforms
- Invest in design standards, documentation, and processes alongside your team members to further our design practice
- Shape product strategy and vision together with product managers
- Drive and support cross-team initiatives that make the Content, Research & Design practice at Deliveroo better - such as improving our hiring process, expanding our community presence, interviewing potential new team members, and much more
- Work in the way that works for you and what you're designing, whether that's spending time sketching or jumping straight into pixels and code
- Identifying the opportunity for a new product
- Researching market & customer needs, etc.
- Examples of concepting product designs
- Experience Design: user research, UX Flows, wireframes, prototyping, testing, etc.
- Visual Interface Design: colour palette, branding, general visual aesthetics
- Interaction Design: animation, menus, general functionality
- Quality assurance of build, further testing, etc.
What you might work on
The products we work on are as diverse as the users we serve, and we’re fortunate to be in a company where design is a first class citizen. Design spans every aspect of our product and our operations, and during your time at Deliveroo you’ll be exposed to a number of very different areas, such as:
- Our Rider apps
- Products for our Restaurants
- Our suite of Consumer products
- Internal Tools to help us provide better customer service
- Design systems and tools
- What you should bring
- We value intellectual humility, an eagerness to learn, and the ability to move quickly while being pragmatic about your decisions. But above all else, we're looking for unique personalities with varied backgrounds that add something new to our team.
- Are a keen problem solver - you enjoy thinking through complex product challenges and care about solving the right problem
- Have a well trained eye for great visual design execution. You care about getting things right - one pixel off is a big deal.
- Take a strategic view to everything you do - your work stands the test of time
- Are fantastic at communicating your thinking and design decisions - you’re able to get people along on the journey with you
- Are well versed at working with disciplines in your work to achieve the best outcome, such as user research, content and engineering.
- Enjoy mentoring others in their professional development as designers
- Have several years' experience in an individual contributor role on a product design team
- Have a great appetite (we love eating!)
- Have a good sense of humour!
- You don’t need to have a degree to apply. What matters is you and the work you do.
- Previous experience working on rider/transport or similar products
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.