Industrial Relations Manager
At Deliveroo, it is our mission to build the definitive food company. To do that, we're building a company where everyone can belong and do the best work of their lives.
The Rider Engagement team sits within the UK&I Operations department and is focused on improving the experience of our riders, restaurants and customers through obtaining, understanding and acting on rider insight.
Deliveroo has recently announced a first-of-its-kind partnership agreement with the GMB union - the third largest union in the UK - covering our UK riders. This is a really exciting partnership, which focuses on strengthening rider wellbeing & promoting our existing rider benefits package.
GMB Union is recognised as the sole trade union for Deliveroo riders in the UK, meaning the GMB can represent riders in certain situations covered under our voluntary agreement.
As Rider Relations Manager you will be important to the success of this agreement and long-term partnership, ensuring we're being a trusted and valued partner and building a positive working relationship with the GMB union. You'll be an important contact for this partnership agreement, you'll also speak with groups of riders from around the UK to gather their thoughts, opinions and feedback on what it means to be a Deliveroo rider at our rider engagement events.
You'll work with our UK Operations teams, our Central Communications, Policy and Legal teams as the daily GMB union contact, you'll also lead regular consultation meetings with the GMB union to discuss important rider-based topics. You will working in a hybrid position (3 days a week in the London office) and report into the Head of Rider Content, Partnerships & Engagement.
What you'll do
- Establish a working relationships with the GMB, based on mutual trust and respect
- Be a daily contact for the GMB union, working across senior partners and teams to build communication channels and strengthen the relationship
- Attend regular consultation meetings with the GMB, to discuss ways of working and ensure we're delivering value as a partner. You'll work with Central Comms, Policy and Legal to set agendas and talking points, and source information and speakers where relevant
- Work with our Public Affairs team to build our external relationships with local Councils, allowing us to handle rider vs general public frustrations and to strengthen our rider proposition
- Ensure Deliveroo meets its obligations to help with GMB union as set out in our voluntary agreement and make sure that our commitments are upheld across the organisation
- Ensure collective agreements are delivered in the best interests of Deliveroo and our Riders
- Work with the relevant teams to ensure and value adding engagement with our trade union
- Contribute to the UKI rider engagement strategy and balance the need of the business, our Union relationship and riders
- Support the RSC teams with rider referrals, ensuring compliance with all processes and engagement with appropriate team members
- Engage with riders to understand their experience with Deliveroo
- Experience to lead the negotiation and consultation process for Deliveroo items in partnership with senior team members ensuring the right resolution is achieved for the organisation
- Know how to gather data from a variety of sources and provide analysis to inform credible conclusions
- Business focused industrial relations specialist at a mid to senior level within a complex organisation
- Experience building successful professional relationships based on mutual trust
- Know what to say in any situation, and to quickly build mutual respect and form relationships with people from all backgrounds
- Partner management - be able to get support from senior management and all partners
- Experience planning and attending meetings with lots of moving parts. Be able to indirectly manage others
- Broad knowledge of external developments and latest best practice in industrial relations within the sector
Our mission is to be the definitive food company. We are transforming the way the world eats by making food more convenient and accessible. We give people the opportunity to eat what they want, as they want it.
We are a technology-driven company at the forefront of an expanding industry in the world. We are still a small team, making a very large impact, looking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, value autonomy, and we are always looking for new ideas.
Workplace & Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer multiple great benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an exciting space.