Head of Ethics
Circle is a financial technology company at the epicenter of the emerging internet of money, where value can finally travel like other digital data — globally, nearly instantly and less expensively than legacy settlement systems. This ground-breaking new internet layer opens up previously unimaginable possibilities for payments, commerce and markets that can help raise global economic prosperity and enhance inclusion. Our infrastructure – including USDC, a blockchain-based dollar – helps businesses, institutions and developers harness these breakthroughs and capitalize on this major turning point in the evolution of money and technology.
What you’ll be part of:
Circle is committed to visibility and stability in everything we do. As we grow as an organization, we're expanding into some of the world's strongest jurisdictions. Speed and efficiency are motivators for our success and our employees live by our company values: Multistakeholder, Mindfulness, Driven by Excellence and High Integrity. Circlers are consistently evolving in a remote world where strength in numbers fuels team success. We have built a flexible and diverse work environment where new ideas are encouraged and everyone is a stakeholder.
What you’ll be responsible for:
Circle is looking for an experienced Head of Ethics to oversee the design, implementation and operation of this program. You will partner closely with cross-functional stakeholders to drive ethics and compliance goal setting and performance, and coordinate priorities and activities enabling Circle to comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations. You will drive education and awareness of these programs, instilling a strong culture of ethics and compliance throughout Circle.
The Head of Ethics will oversee the implementation and execution of controls to ensure that the program is operating effectively and the overall risk is appropriately managed. The right candidate will possess and demonstrate strong ethics and compliance program design and execution experience focused on outcomes.
What you'll work on:
- Developing, leading and managing a world class global ethics function, including owning and managing the suite of associated policies, controls, workflows and relationships related to various internal policies, including but not limited to, Circle’s Code of Conduct, Reporting of Concerns (i.e. Whistleblower) Policy, Anti-Corruption Policy, Gifts and Entertainment, Conflicts of Interest and Insider Trading Policy.
- Proactively identifying and managing ethics and compliance risk.
- Providing guidance and advice to employees, including senior and executive management, in response to related policy inquiries.
- Driving program objectives, key results, milestones, metrics and reporting to continually enhance and scale the program.
- Regularly assessing policies, procedures, and controls to ensure compliance with applicable laws and regulations and industry best practices.
- Developing and implementing company-wide training on Ethics; providing targeted training and mentoring worldwide on compliance with the Company’s ethics program, Code of Conduct, and other related policies/procedures; and developing and managing a communications plan.
- Providing support in connection with internal investigations, as necessary.
You will aspire to our four core values:
- Multistakeholder - you have dedication and commitment to our customers, shareholders, employees and families and local communities.
- Mindful - you seek to be respectful, an active listener and to pay attention to detail.
- Driven by Excellence - you are driven by our mission and our passion for customer success which means you relentlessly pursue excellence, that you do not tolerate mediocrity and you work intensely to achieve your goals.
- High Integrity - you seek open and honest communication, and you hold yourself to very high moral and ethical standards. You reject manipulation, dishonesty and intolerance.
What you’ll bring to Circle:
- 15+ years experience in ethics, compliance, legal, risk management, audit functions etc. within a financial institution
- Experienced in embedding a strong ethics culture in a rapidly expanding business environment, preferable technology or financial services.
- Experienced in building programs, especially implementing and enhancing second line of defense programs.
- Experience working with and presenting to SVP-level leadership and board of directors
- Passionate about financial technology and the disruptive potential of cryptocurrency and blockchains, are a team player with a sense of humor, and enjoy learning but also mentoring
- Comfortable working in an evolving and growing environment that is prone to changes, and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Comfortable working autonomously and independently with minimal guidance but are also capable of working collaboratively as part of a team.
- Experience/familiarity with Slack, Apple MacOS and GSuite.
- This position is eligible for day-one PERM sponsorship for qualified candidates.
Circle is on a mission to create an inclusive financial future, with transparency at our core. We consider a wide variety of elements when crafting our compensation ranges and total compensation packages.
Starting pay is determined by various factors, including but not limited to: relevant experience, skill set, qualifications, and other business and organizational needs. Please note that compensation ranges may differ for candidates in other locations.
Base Pay Range: $187,500 - $240,000
Annual Bonus Target: 20%
Also Included: Equity & Benefits (including medical, dental, vision and 401(k)). Circle has a discretionary vacation policy. We also provide 10 days of paid sick leave per year and 11 paid holidays per year in the U.S.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at Circle. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Additionally, Circle participates in the E-Verify Program in certain locations, as required by law.