Technical Program Manager
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Saturday, January 13, 2024
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
As a Technical Program Manager, you will be responsible for tracking key milestones and metrics for Charm’s Engineering Team and will report to the Head of Engineering. You will track key metrics, like the dollars per ton of Carbon Dioxide Removed and maximum CDR produced per day, and evaluate the prioritization of work based on the largest impact to these key metrics. You will work to unblock our cross-functional teams, including owning schedules and enforcing deadlines. You will run our cross-functional sync meetings for the programs based out of our San Francisco office, the development of our next pyrolyzer and our ironmaking program.
- You will own our milestone schedule for two of our programs, and track key metrics associated with those programs.
- You will work cross functionally to get ahead of anticipated blockers, and keep teams on track prioritizing work that’s most important to Charm’s overall mission.
- You will keep up with key metrics reporting, including improving our ability to build accurate schedules based on the team velocity.
- You will identify bottlenecks in our processes and work with the Head of Engineering and our CO-based TPM to resolve them.
- A track record for success in a startup or fast paced environment.
- Experience interfacing with several interconnected teams, and tracking dependencies between them.
- A depth of experience developing detailed schedules, and tracking those in commonly used software suites like JIRA.
- Strong organization and communication skills.
- A desire to improve our processes to make work easier for our team.
- A clear voice for when a task is misestimated or misprioritized.
Bonus (but not required):
- 3+ years of experience as project or program manager
- Experience with hardware development
- Experience building resource-based schedules
- Mechanical engineering or similar technical background
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
· Traditional and Roth 401(k)
· Paid time off, including parental leave
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches at a sweet workplace with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.