Community Engagement Manager
fort lupton, co, usa
Posted on Friday, October 27, 2023
Our mission is to reverse climate change and return the atmosphere to 280 ppm CO₂, profitably. We convert waste biomass into carbon-rich bio-oil and inject it into permanent, underground storage as carbon removal, or reform the bio-oil to produce syngas for fossil-free steel.
Our carbon removal pathway took off in 2020 with initial purchases from customers like Stripe, Shopify & Microsoft. In 2021 and 2022 we delivered thousands of tons of carbon removal via off-the-shelf pathways, and also deployed our first R&D prototype pyrolyzer of our own. In the next 18 months, we'll build and deploy the next pyrolyzer revision, demonstrate our fossil-free ironmaking pilot, substantially expand our operations in Colorado and put thousands of tonnes of CO₂e underground.
We're looking to expand our team of ambitious creative and hands-on engineers, fabricators, operators, and forward-thinking humans. We value psychological safety and collaboration. We take calculated risks and don't sweep mistakes under the rug; instead, we pin them to the wall and learn from them. We value that everyone’s unique backgrounds and perspectives shape their work. We encourage you to read our company values.
Come help us reverse climate change. Gigatons or bust!
Charm is a leader in the carbon removal field, and is seeking a Community Engagement Manager to scale our community engagement program and community benefits engagement as the company scales. This role will be critical to ensuring that Charm’s operations support the communities it works in, and that community benefits continue to be integrated into Charm’s growth at the planning stage.
The Community Engagement Manager will be Charm’s internal expert in community engagement, and will work closely with the policy and operations teams. This role will both design and operationalize community engagement strategies, and work with members in the community before determining how and where we locate operations.
This role will work across the policy, operations, and sales teams to integrate and execute on community engagement strategies, and will be responsible for reporting on and assessing progress. This includes interfacing with stakeholders including customers, local governments, and NGOs to continue to inform best practices and scale Charm’s work in the communities it works in.
This role is ideally based in Fort Lupton, CO with some occasional travel required, or based in San Francisco with a lot of travel required. It reports to Charm’s Head of Policy and Market Development.
- Design Charm’s approach to community engagement, with a focus on the company’s initial operating areas
- Design and execute a plan tailored to each community, including stakeholder mapping, outreach, community investments (ie, partnership with local community organizations and community colleges), community benefits plans, and follow on engagement
- Create and present public materials and lead community meetings to support Charm’s engagement strategy and/or manage local resources to support these efforts
- Support research and stakeholder engagement to inform Charm’s best practices on community engagement
- Integrate community engagement and community priorities into Charm’s operations
- Lead community engagement planning and reporting for RFPs and customer partnerships
- Collaborate cross functionally within the company to integrate community engagement priorities
- 5+ years of experience in a community engagement and/or a public affairs role
- Experience with stakeholder engagement and mapping, community engagement plans, and community benefits plans
- Public facing experience running community meetings and giving public presentations
- Skill at navigating complex communities with a diversity of perspectives
- An understanding and/or connection to the community engagement policy/NGO community
- Ability to distill and communicate complex issues to executive level audiences
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for high-growth, frequently changing environments
Bonus (but not required):
- Knowledge of carbon removal policy
- Experience working with energy, agriculture, and/or forestry communities
What We Offer
· Stock options
· Health benefits (medical, dental, vision)
· Traditional and Roth 401(k)
· Paid time off, including parental leave
- A yearly professional development stipend
· Healthy snacks and lunches at a sweet workplace with lots of space inside and out
· A chance to pivot into a role in climate!
Visa Sponsorship Policy
Since we are a small startup, certain accommodations for visa sponsorship may not be within our capability. At this time, Charm Industrial is only sponsoring E3 and TN visas.
Charm Industrial is an equal opportunity employer with a firm commitment to growing our team in an inclusive way, regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, medical condition, age, or veteran status. The consequences of climate change inherently affect some more than others, and we need a diverse team to help us save our little planet most effectively & justly. We are excited about all of those who choose to apply, and for those who end up joining us, to see how you better us as a team and company. We are more than the sum of our parts.