Senior Software Engineer (Java) - Account Integrity (Open to remote across ANZ)
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the group:
The Trust & Safety (T&S) Group vision is to make Canva the world’s most trusted company for safe design.
To safeguard our community, our T&S engineering teams build technologies to prevent, detect, and mitigate abuse and fraud that could compromise the trust people have in Canva, such as unacceptable content, bots, account takeovers, and other abuse vectors.
About the role:
We are seeking a skilled and expert Senior Backend Engineer, ideally with a proven background in Trust and Safety. As a Backend Engineer, you will play a crucial role in developing and maintaining our backend systems, with a specific emphasis on ensuring the trustworthiness and safety of our platform.
You will collaborate with multi-functional teams to implement scalable solutions that protect our users and promote a safe online environment for users and Canva.
- Design, develop, and maintain backend systems and APIs to support our platform's functionality
- Collaborate with product managers, designers, and frontend engineers to define and implement reliable, scalable, and secure features
- Take a proactive approach to identify potential trust and safety risks and develop strategies to mitigate them
- Implement and maintain controls and protection for user authentication, content moderation fraud prevention, and abuse detection
- Develop and improve tools and technologies that enable proactive monitoring, analysis, and reporting of trust and safety-related metrics
- Stay up to date with industry trends and best practices in trust and safety to continuously improve our platform's security and user protection measures
- Participate in code reviews, troubleshooting, and optimization to ensure high-performance, scalable, and maintainable backend systems
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to investigate and resolve trust and safety incidents, applying appropriate measures to prevent their recurrence
- Mentor junior engineers, sharing your knowledge and expertise in backend development and trust and safety practices
- Strong proficiency in backend development, including experience with languages such as Java (preferred) or Python
- Understand the entire product life cycle, features, technical debt, QA, and supporting quality at speed
- Proven experience of owning and operating high availability, high scale services
- Experience mentoring a team of software engineers
- Experience working with various partners such as product managers, technical program managers, data analysts, reviewers, security, legal, and other business functions outside of engineering
- Experience in trust & safety, content moderation, fraud, or abuse preferred, but not crucial
- Familiarity with cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud Platform, and experience with containerization technologies
- Experience with database technologies (e.g., MySQL, PostgreSQL, MongoDB) and proficiency in SQL
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.