Senior Backend Engineer (Java) - Revenue Platform
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted on Monday, August 21, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney, Australia but in Aotearoa, we have a hub in Auckland that we call home to our local operations. And with that, you have choice in how and where you work. That means if you want to do your thing at our Auckland hub (if you're nearby) or at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
About the Product Growth & Revenue Platform teams:
The Growth ‘supergroup’ is Canva’s centre of excellence for product-led growth. The work Growth does spans from building exciting new growth-focused products & experiences, developing unique and creative growth loops and GTM tactics, launching 100s of experiments each quarter, through to building the global payments & subscriptions infrastructure that allows our 100M+ monthly users worldwide to access our premium products.
As part of the Product Growth supergroup, the Revenue Platform group is owning the strategy and roadmap for enabling everyone, across the planet, to access the paid features of Canva, be this through a subscription or a one-off transaction. No two countries are the same, so it is our job to understand, evaluate and prioritise what works best and for who. We do everything from building out complex new payment integrations to enabling other Canva groups to achieve their goals and monetise their features.
What you'll do :
- Build well-documented APIs, platforms & self serve tooling to empower other teams within Canva
- Evolve our systems with urgency and focus to meet the rapidly growing customer needs and business ambitions
- Operate, monitor & diagnose issues with some of our most mission critical systems in production, using every incident as an opportunity to make them more observable, resilient & secure
- Proactively identify technical debt, communicate its impact to stakeholders, and propose actions that reduce complexity & increase agility
- Become a mentor to your colleagues and actively contribute to an open, collaborative culture that encourages continuous learning & growth
- Work primarily on the backend, but often interact with frontend code components and be open to contributing up & down the stack
Key skills and experience desired:
- Highly competent in backend development, with a deep knowledge of Java and the JVM
- Strong knowledge of building APIs and leveraging databases
- Able to work closely with internal stakeholders to understand their requirements, iterate ideas and build custom solutions
- Capable of identifying solution options, weighing tradeoffs and proposing a scalable software architecture that solves a given business problem
- Strong ability to communicate technical concepts and implications to different audiences, including non-technical stakeholders
- Comfortable working as part of a highly cohesive and collaborative team with frequent interactions, regular pair programming and code review
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.