Engineering Manager (BE) - Education, Verification Platform (AU remote)
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Posted on Tuesday, August 8, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager with product delivery, and service operation expertise to help us achieve our goals.
You’ll coach and mentor other engineers to help them do their best work, while partnering with multi-functional leads to roadmap goals and milestones. You’ll be communicating with partners from outside the team to ensure project alignment and coordination as well as responsible for ensuring high availability of services and sustainable development.
What you’ll do (Responsibilities)
- Lead and coach a motivated team of engineers (3-4)
- Be responsible for the break-down and delivery of large projects
- Operate service(s) with excellence (including being on call)
- Work with senior members of the team to guide the technical vision
- Support coachee growth via feedback, reviews
- Design, develop and deploy solutions and hands-on software development – working closely with leads, designers, and product managers
- Foster an impactful and healthy team via a healthy code review culture, knowledge sharing, design showcases, and process improvements
- Promote a safe and healthy culture with a focus on collaboration and open communication
- Advocate for engineering needs to non-technical stakeholders within the group
What we are looking for
- Proven experience of leading a team of software engineers.
- Experience owning and operating high availability, high scale services.
- Experience building high-performing and collaborative teams.A healthy balance of delivery leadership, people leadership, and technical skills.
- Strong customer focus to understand the use cases and requirements of our customers.
- Ability to lead by example; promote Canva’s values, no-blame mentality, and engineering values.
- Experience working cross-functionally with Product Managers, Designers, and other business functions outside of engineering.
About the group/team
The Education group is on a mission to empower creativity & collaboration in every learner. And dreams of reaching every school, university and district in the world 🌎
Primary focus areas for this team:
Optimizing core verification flows to ensure the right users can efficiently access our education and not-for-profit subscriptions
Improving the graduation experience so users can seamlessly transition from education to our paid products
Identifying & closing fraud loopholes by re-verifying & downgrading users at key moments of the education lifecycle
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.