Senior Product Designer - User Platform
Melbourne VIC, Australia
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
Defining the foundations, guidelines and framework for all settings pages, taking into account all existing and near future requirements (user data, legal, marketing, product, and organisational needs), establish systems-thinking principles and guidelines to define how settings pages are navigated, structured and shared between groups. Increasing consistency and speed-to-market for other teams shipping features, through self-serve guidance.
Seamless authentication for organisations through relevant authentication flows (Single Sign-On (SSO), account access, roles and permissions etc), allowing users to have both a work and personal account, further improving the SSO experience and ultimately empowering organisations to securely use Canva with their preferred identity providers.
Internal enablement: Enable other teams to help themselves, their stakeholders and, ultimately end customers through collaboration with CHT and User Growth, helping them to support their customers' needs.
Better in-product guidance: Collaborating with the Design Systems team to develop patterns for actionable error messages and user guidance (e.g. 40x pages, empty states, warnings, nudges) for relevant settings pages across all devices.
End-to-end account experience: Creating a delightful experience for end users where no single owner can be identified but can be addressed timely, including, improving error states (UX/UI & Content Design), educating users about profile-related issues through guided empty states and timely messaging, shaping concepts that help progress backend-driven conversations forward to front-end solutions.
You'll be integral to the team's mission: Scale the User Platform to enable us to handle the next 1 billion users
- Supporting the vision, strategy and roadmap for the future of Canva's Identity and Access Architecture, in collaboration with Product and Engineering.
- Ensuring the team is effectively supported with design thinking and high-quality design solutions.
- Working with PMs and Engineers across both Canva's Product and Infrastructure teams to maintain alignment on strategic direction and deliver against their needs.
- Helping shift the scalability of user settings and access for all levels of users, teams and organisations, balancing the delivery of long-term solutions with the needs of the business today.
- Expanding self-service capabilities by increasingscalable frameworks and systems thinking of shared settings pagesacross product groups.
- Improving the user flows and experience of Single Sign-On (SSO).
- Empowering organisations to securely use Canva with their preferred identity providers such as Azure, Google SCIM or Okta.
- Collaborating between organisation and individual accounts can be achieved securely.
- Fast-tracking new feature requirements and improve operational scalability that are identified through customer feedback (via partnerships with Customer Support and Sales teams).
- Measuring and communicating the success of the teams to the wider business, translating what is being built to tangible business outcomes.
Goals that you'll achieve
- Audit of existing settings pages across the Canva platform, identifying current ownership across product groups, establishing partnerships with key stakeholders to understand existing and new needs, identify common patterns, and initiate the core vision for a unified Settings experience.
- Account switcher: Make it easier to switch between organisations and private accounts.
- Account access: Allow for a second email, backup email, and remove social account logins from connected social accounts via account settings, login flows, backup emails and social accounts.
- Roles & Permissions: User flows for custom roles and working settings to help organisations manage their users' custom roles easily via account settings, custom roles and permissions.
- Improving SSO: Improve the account linking experience end-to-end.
- Settings guidelines: Establish systems-thinking principles and guidelines to define how settings pages are structured and shared between groups, while increasing consistency and speed-to-market for other teams shipping features, through self-serve guidance.
About the group you'll be joining:
The Application Platform Group was formed in 2022, unifying the teams building critical platforms that power the core Canva experience. We build and maintain powerful platform capabilities that allow our teams to rapidly build experiences that meaningfully engage with our millions of users in the language and location of their choice, while respecting and maintaining their privacy at every step. Our vision is for every product team to have everything they need to ship product experiences easily and safely.
Our identity and access architecture is at the heart of delivering a great Canva experience, providing critical user experiences like Sign Up, Log In, Team and Role Management, and Collaboration.
With Canva's growth ambitions, you will play a key role in designing and developing a system and framework capable of handling billions of user records and enabling the Canva experience to a diverse range of users, including those in education and enterprise. You'll work with a team responsible for ensuring our systems have high availability and user data is stored securely, all while empowering product teams to deliver their settings-specific features with ease.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.