Senior Machine Learning Engineer - AI Images
Software Engineering, Data Science
Posted on Monday, July 31, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
Canva is looking for a great Python engineer to Empower the World To Design by helping Canva users employ Machine Learning to generate Media. Our current Text To Image app is one of the most used, most searched for apps on Canva and enables our users to create any sort of image that they can dream up. When you join our team, you’ll be helping to enable hundreds of millions of Canva Users to fully unleash their visual creativity with cutting-edge generative AI.
At the moment, this role is focused on:
- Employing state-of-the-art Machine Learning techniques like LORA and hypernet training to improve the quality of our generative AI models.
- Continuous improvement of our training and inferences pipelines to enable faster and more efficient system responses, such as using TensorRT to optimise inference times.
- Working with the latest hardware from NVidia, AWS, and more to find the fastest and most efficient infrastructure for media generation in today’s fast-moving hardware landscape.
- Operationalising new models by working with the backend team to get new models into production and ensuring that the system performs as expected in the online, experimental environment.
- Enabling new features that move beyond traditional text-to-image applications, empowering users to use new input methods and enabling generation beyond just images.
A bit about you:
- 5+ years of experience with Python and related technologies, such as type hinting, package management, and Pythonic testing.
- History of working effectively in teams, including experience with code reviews and pull requests, and design document creation.
- Experience in a fast past, start-up-like environment and getting code into production quickly and independently.
Experience in any of these areas is beneficial:
- StableDiffusion, especially with contributions to open-source stable diffusion projects such as Automatic1111.
- Experience with using Python and off-the-shelf ML models (e.g. from Huggingface) and using them to get models into production quickly is beneficial.
- Experience with Computer Vision, generally speaking, especially modern, deep-learning computer vision systems. Bonus points for open-source contributions.
- Other machine-learning experience, particularly involving successful, production model training.
- Data processing and analysis projects, especially at large scale and using some combination of Python and Data Warehouse systems.
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.