Creative Lead, Diversity - Visual Content
Posted on Thursday, July 27, 2023
Join the team redefining how the world experiences design.
Hey, g'day, mabuhay, kia ora,你好, hallo, vítejte!
Thanks for stopping by. We know job hunting can be a little time consuming and you're probably keen to find out what's on offer, so we'll get straight to the point.
Where and how you can work
Our flagship campus is in Sydney. We also have a campus in Melbourne and co-working spaces in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide. But you have choice in where and how you work. That means if you want to do your thing in the office (if you're near one), at home or a bit of both, it's up to you.
What you’d be doing in this role
As Canva scales change continues to be part of our DNA. But we like to think that's all part of the fun. So this will give you the flavour of the type of things you'll be working on when you start, but this will likely evolve.
What you'd be doing in this role
Sitting within the Visual Content group, the Creative Lead for Diversity will be responsible for creative strategy, direction, and qualitative oversight of our content production across diversity and inclusivity goals. Specifically, you’ll be focused on creating content strategy to address key diversity facets in Canva’s content library including (but not limited to): sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, religion, age, socio-economic status and ethnic/cultural background.
You will be responsible for identifying, developing relationships with and working alongside artists in our Canva Represents Fund, as well as collaborating with our Diversity Advisories to ensure our diverse and inclusive content is authentic and upholds our values of diversity, inclusivity, representation and respect.
You will be seen as the gatekeeper of diverse and inclusive content within Canva’s Library, advocating the importance of diverse content stakeholders across the Canva Marketplace and the wider business. As a representative of Visual Content, you will collaborate with cross-functional teams to grow and adapt diverse and inclusive content on Canva, serve as the voice of underrepresented communities alongside our Curation and Content Business Partners to advocate for key seasonal events that advocate for inclusivity, and partner with Content Insights to provide reporting and thought leadership on the future requirements for Canva to evolve it’s diversity content initiatives.
Your collaboration with stakeholders across the company will enable Visual Content to surface high quality, diverse and inclusive content across our Search & Recommendations, Marketing, and Marketplace surfaces, working closely with Product to evolve the presentation and balanced distribution of diverse content across Canva, calling out gaps and opportunities as required. As well as content created by our In-House design team, you will partner with our Community teams to advocate and educate on diversity requirements in partnership with our global network of Creators.
We move fast here at Canva, and this role will certainly keep you on your toes. We are looking for someone who loves to get stuff done. You’re who we want to work with if you can balance rapid prioritization of business objectives alongside brilliant, values driven creative strategy and direction.
We believe in attracting and nurturing world-class talent with a focus on diversity, community, career development – and doing the best work of our lives.
At the moment the role is focussed on
- Owning Visual Content's Diversity Creative Strategy—this includes its development, implementation and continual optimisation, driving forward momentum in this space throughout the business.
- Coaching a team of Creative Strategists and Designers, guiding them on your creative vision for diversity and developing their craft.
- Overseeing the creative ideation, development and execution of diverse and inclusive Templates and Elements across the Visual Content teams. This would include the developing & approving of creative briefs, and driving creative production for our graphic design, illustration, photography, and motion graphics teams with respect to Diversity content creation.
- Working alongside senior Canva leadership and founders to develop and present vision decks and creative strategies that advocate for diverse content and drive our inclusivity goals forward.
- Developing and maintain inclusivity and diversity guidelines and best practices, in partnership with Canva Trust & Safety, to ensure we are positioning the highest quality, most inclusive content to our users in the right contexts and upholds our values of diversity, inclusivity, representation and respect.
- Identifying, advocate for, and develop relationships with and work alongside artists in our Canva Represents Fund, in addition to our Diversity Advisory partners.
- Developing content for key seasonal and cultural diversity moments In collaboration with our Content Business Partners and Marketing teams, in order to represent canva users from all walks of life.
- Working in partnership with our Design Operations and Content Partnerships teams to oversee budgets for our Diversity content, alongside negotiations and agreements with our diversity content partners.
- Monitoring and reporting on gaps, opportunities and trends with respect to Content Diversity, in concert with Insights and Community teams, and evangelize internally, serving as a key resource and advocate for diverse content.
- Collaborating with Visual Content’s Strategic and Craft Leadership to develop and identify where our content campaigns may have opportunities to showcase diversity and inclusivity facets (across in-house, creators, & partnership libraries), and work with the team to champion this content as we deliver on Content goals.
- Partnering closely with our Product and Search & Recommendations teams to identify and advocate for product enhancements that will bring greater diversity to Canva and allow our user experience to be more inclusive.
- Providing thought leadership on the evolution of inclusive design, partner on building a vision for the future of diversity content on Canva, and serve as the voice and key tastemaker of Canva Represents to bring this vision to our entire community of users.
- Leveraging your expertise to educate Canva users of different facets of diverse and inclusive content through templates and elements design, in particular showcasing content from underrepresented groups.
You're probably a match if
- You're an expert on inclusivity and diversity content from a global perspective, and ensure that Canva’s library is a world leader in content that represents humans from all walks of life.
- Highly experienced as a Graphic or Visual Designer and Creative Leader, preferably with experience creating and overseeing photography content production. We expect you to have a strong foundational craft knowledge in these areas to oversee the design quality of partners, artists, and our in-house creative production.
- Have extensive previous experience in the creation, curation and advocacy of diverse and inclusive content in Digital Media.
- A leader who is comfortable communicating, engaging with, and managing expectations of Canva leadership, organizational stakeholders, and growing, coaching and mentoring a team of creatively minded individuals who are passionate about diversity.
- A keen eye for what makes great design, and an ability to develop and curate content in a way that helps educate our users on diverse perspectives that may be different to their own.
- An ability to interpret user trends and data, working collaboratively with our Content Strategy and Insights team to develop those insights into creative strategies that ensure our content library is representing users across all of our diversity facets.
- Ability to work autonomously in a fast-paced, high-growth environment.
About the Team
Canva’s in-house Visual Content team is on a mission to empower our users around the world by providing them with world-class, inspirational Templates and Elements that help them achieve their creative goals.
We work from concept to creation on high quality, globally relevant, inclusive and trend-setting creative across Canva’s product ecosystem (Presentations, Docs, Whiteboards, Social Media, Websites, Print, to name but a few!), Brand Partnerships, Seasonal and Cultural Campaigns, Education, and Diversity Initiatives.
Visual Content is responsible for setting the overall Creative Strategy and Direction for the content that sits within Canva’s library, entrusted with holding our content and its creators to the highest of standards. Our job is to ensure that our library provides end-to-end content solutions that enable our users, whether they be Professionals, Educators, or first-time Designers, with the tools they need to create beautiful designs.
Our team partners with many stakeholders across the Canva organization, including Product, Marketing, and Search & Recommendations to devise, design and deliver creative content that showcases the very best of Canva’s products and services.
But don't just take our word for it, check out what Design Lead - Chen Zhang has to say about working in Design at Canva -
"I love working at Canva because I really am empowering the world to design by designing"
What's in it for you?
Achieving our crazy big goals motivates us to work hard - and we do - but you'll experience lots of moments of magic, connectivity and fun woven throughout life at Canva, too. We also offer a stack of benefits to set you up for every success in and outside of work.
Here's a taste of what's on offer:
• Equity packages - we want our success to be yours too
• Inclusive parental leave policy that supports all parents & carers
• An annual Vibe & Thrive allowance to support your wellbeing, social connection, office setup & more
• Flexible leave options that empower you to be a force for good, take time to recharge and supports you personally
Check out lifeatcanva.com for more info.
Other stuff to know
We make hiring decisions based on your experience, skills and passion, as well as how you can enhance Canva and our culture. When you apply, please tell us the pronouns you use and any reasonable adjustments you may need during the interview process.
Please note that interviews are conducted virtually.